So... Cats like heat lamps...

TortoiseDoc

IMG_9382.jpg IMG_9524.jpg IMG_9604.jpg Hey guys! I've been quiet on the forum for some time, my little Sal/Sally has been hanging out and growing. He's (or she) spent the summer outside in the outdoor enclosure I've "built" (ok, so far its been a dog ex-pen covered in hardware cloth in the grass back yard with water bowl. I moved recently and its a big project I haven't gotten to yet). Well its starting to cool down (I'm in Ohio) and I brought him in to his indoor enclosure. Except I'm having a problem with my cats...

**I am also reading other cat posts, but I'm also looking for input on Sal's enclosure itself**

So, I have two cats and they have both decided that coconut choir makes an EXCELLENT litter substrate... and they've gone to using the cool side of his enclosure as their litter box... and the warm side as their basking spot... Sal is... less than pleased...

I would love any ideas!

Also, last winter I had this whole thing covered in painters plastic to increase overall heat and humidity. I would love love love to not have to do that just because it looked so terrible, and am wondering if you guys think its still necessary. The enclosure is 2' x 4'. Sal is 2 years old, sharpie for size...

baldegale

View attachment 252466 View attachment 252467 View attachment 252468 Hey guys! I've been quiet on the forum for some time, my little Sal/Sally has been hanging out and growing. He's (or she) spent the summer outside in the outdoor enclosure I've "built" (ok, so far its been a dog ex-pen covered in hardware cloth in the grass back yard with water bowl. I moved recently and its a big project I haven't gotten to yet). Well its starting to cool down (I'm in Ohio) and I brought him in to his indoor enclosure. Except I'm having a problem with my cats...

**I am also reading other cat posts, but I'm also looking for input on Sal's enclosure itself**

So, I have two cats and they have both decided that coconut choir makes an EXCELLENT litter substrate... and they've gone to using the cool side of his enclosure as their litter box... and the warm side as their basking spot... Sal is... less than pleased...

I would love any ideas!

Also, last winter I had this whole thing covered in painters plastic to increase overall heat and humidity. I would love love love to not have to do that just because it looked so terrible, and am wondering if you guys think its still necessary. The enclosure is 2' x 4'. Sal is 2 years old, sharpie for size...

hello fellow ohioan! and im not quite sure, i dont know where your tort table is otherwise id say try and block the room off from the cats. maybe hardware cloth is the solution here too? im not sure. ive never had to deal with a tort table before as ive always had closed chambers.

TortoiseDoc

A closed chamber is my dream, however I'm back in school and money is tiiiiiight right now. I'd love to upgrade what I have for Sal, but this is the best I can do right now :/

baldegale

A closed chamber is my dream, however I'm back in school and money is tiiiiiight right now. I'd love to upgrade what I have for Sal, but this is the best I can do right now :/

what im thinking of for the solution would require maybe $20-$30, ($10-$20 in 1x1s if that and then the hardware cloth) i understand about money being tight.

baldegale

what are the dimensions of your enclosure? (i just need length and width) and i can figure out the exact cost

baldegale

absolutely! And I think I see where you're headed with it!

okay so youll need to start with 2 pieces of 2”x2” at 2 feet long. then youll need 2 pieces of 2”x2” that are 4 feet long (might want to make both dimensions an inch or two longer to make sure it fits over top) then you take the corner braces (ill include the link in a sec if you like this idea) and screw them in in one of these places (whichever you think will work better) on the top and bottom.
IMG_4133.JPG
then you take hardware cloth and wrap it as tight as you can (a second person to help w this might be better) and then screw in through the washers to make sure its tight. screw in 4 times on the 4ft lengths and 3 times on 2ft lengths to make sure its absolutely secure because more than likely your cats will lay on it. and then voila! that should be pretty much all you need to do minus trimming the hardware cloth after you screw it all in.

baldegale

(also i know that was a horrible illustration but i hope you get the idea lmao)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whatever you do, you need to do it asap before your cats start a fire which they will most definitely get burned. Besides it's not good for your tort to live in a cat litter.

baldegale

1/2 in. x 3 ft. x 5 ft. 19-Gauge Hardware Cloth

https://www.homedepot.com/p/205960836

3 in. Zinc-Plated Flat Corner Brace (4-Pack)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/202034116

2 in. x 2 in. x 8 ft. Furring Strip Board

https://www.homedepot.com/p/202076422

1/4 in. x 1-1/4 in. Zinc-Plated Fender Washer

https://www.homedepot.com/p/204632767

here’s everything you need, i recommend downloading the Home Depot app it makes finding things in store significantly easier. the store in north olmsted has everything in stock but idk where in ohio youre located.

shouldnt take you more than an hour or two! definitely post the final product!

Pastel Tortie

Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
What kind of litter do you use?

Specifically, I'm wondering if you use a walnut-based litter like the kind that Blue Buffalo produces. It's brown, like the coco coir, so I'm wondering if that was part of the appeal for the cats.

The lid over the enclosure is obviously the best solution, but I'm curious about the "why" on the cats' part, in case someone else has a similar situation.

TortoiseDoc

Hey guys! So I've been working on building the top. Just waiting for the BF to bring his wire cutters over haha

To answer one question though, I use regular tidy cats clay scoop-able litter