Some Advice

TortoiseDoc

Hey guys! I'm in the planning stages of a new, larger enclosure for my tort. Sal (Sally) is about 8 months old and a happy little fella (gal)... I'm trying to think long term, and debating on how long I should keep him (her) in an enclosed system. I've not found any details on how long they need to be maintained at a high humidity.

Thanks!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I keep my leopard, same care as a sully, for two years. However, this summer he will be outside for a good part of the day and humid closed enclosure at night and on cooler days. My leopard will be 2 in November. Last summer I put him out on really warm days for only a couple hours then back to the humid enclosure. Even as adults, a humid hide is still needed, not not as humid as when 2 and under.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hey so as long as your baby is still growing, they'll still need the humidity. Like Wellington said, 2 years is a good age to be transitioned outside, by then your baby is going to be a beefy little bull dozer (8-10 inches is a good size indicator) and will needs lots of room for exercise. Check out Tom's care sheet in enclosures and they may help as well. These guys have helped me so much with our Sully, I still have so much to learn but they've given me a ton of encouragement and support with getting my feet on the ground, I'm very grateful I discovered this forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to keep them in a 4x8' closed chamber until they are too large to live inside anymore. I usually move them outside full time at around 8-10" which is usually within 12-18 months.