SO breaks the fence

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So I'm in the kitchen fixing lunch and Misty jumps up and runs to the window growling and barking. I look out and no one's there, however, I do see this:

So breaks the fence a.jpg So breaks the fence b.jpg So breaks the fence c.jpg

There's a row of mulberry trees planted just inside the Aldabran yard and my partner and I put up a little retaining fence in front of them to keep the tortoises from eating them. A while back one of the boards on the outside fence fell off and I never got around to nailing it back on. So I guess SO decided he wanted to see if he can fit through that space and go walk about.

It doesn't pay to give Aldabran tortoises a day off from food. My cheapy used wood fences can't stand up to all that pressure. I've got to take a bunch of Mazuri out there and get his mind off walk about.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Better get it fix today. Forecast for rain tomorrow and the weekend.

SO just give you a reminder of that! ! :D

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Too funny. Definitely a handful i bet. Thanks for the smile. I needed it today.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
A "friendly" reminder! ! :p:p

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
What a scary thing to look out and see!
SO is huge!! Hopefully the Mazuri worked!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cool pic. But what the heck would you do if he had fallen over onto his back? Can't leave anything left unattended or unfixed with tortoises around:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I probably could have turned him back over. It's fairly easy because their carapace is so round. It's the other way I have trouble with. I've tried to turn Dudley over onto his back to check his undercarriage, and that's just an impossible task. The legs get in the way, he scoots himself, he fights..impossible!

M

Maggie Cummings

It looks like he's taking lessons from Bob. Looks like he's feeling pretty good, better be thinkin about a stronger fence. You've really made him come around. I've never seen him that active...

puffy137

Thank you Yvonne for those brilliant pics . Must be like living with a Sherman Tank . Best of Luck . I am amazed at his size He would be way to big for me to manage.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
" SO SMASH!"
how dare you tempt the poor guy with mulberry treesm why not just cut yourself junp in the ocean and hug some sharks? Of course as punishment you can send him to my house, that should teach him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So I'm in the kitchen fixing lunch and Misty jumps up and runs to the window growling and barking. I look out and no one's there, however, I do see this:

View attachment 119892 View attachment 119893 View attachment 119894

There's a row of mulberry trees planted just inside the Aldabran yard and my partner and I put up a little retaining fence in front of them to keep the tortoises from eating them. A while back one of the boards on the outside fence fell off and I never got around to nailing it back on. So I guess SO decided he wanted to see if he can fit through that space and go walk about.

It doesn't pay to give Aldabran tortoises a day off from food. My cheapy used wood fences can't stand up to all that pressure. I've got to take a bunch of Mazuri out there and get his mind off walk about.

I likely would move that yummy red planter in the event it is tempting to the always hungry tortoise...and he is absolutely lovely...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I likely would move that yummy red planter in the event it is tempting to the always hungry tortoise...and he is absolutely lovely...

You may be onto something there. That never occurred to me. And that's the same spot he always does that. Well, I've put the board back up on the front fence, so hopefully he can't see the red pot anymore. But just in case, I'll switch it with a blue one.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you imagine the $$ freight and shipping container for that? Phew!
Wouldn't cost that much . Because I would drive and pick it up . In my Ford F150 ! And a closed trailer! Gas food and fun!