Sneezing

Kaylamae33

Location (City and/or State)
Bedford, Indiana
so my Russian Tortoise today has sneezed like 5 times. I looked up some thing on here about it and I think it was because my substrate was too dry( almost like sand dry) so I made it more moist like it was when I first got it. His humidity though stays at a solid 70% even before I made his substrate moist. His temp stays to about 70 on the cool side and 78 where the heat is. At night I haven’t been using any heat source because I read it was bad to do so. So I’m wondering if I might need to heat his enclosure at night again. His appetite is the same. He eats like a little hoss. I did have to change his feeding schedule from 10am to 530pm because I started a new job. I just hope this isn’t the start of a respiratory infections. Please give thoughts!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hi,

When looking at a sick tortoise, the first thing you should look at are the temperatures.

In your case, a 78 degree basing spot is way too low. You’ll need to bump it up to around 90-95, possibly a little higher until he starts feeling better.