Smoking Marijuana in the same room

odw26

Location (City and/or State)
Bournemouth
Hi,
My housemates have recently purchased a Horsefield/Russian tortoise and smoke marijuana in the same room as it a couple of times a week. Is this bad for the tortoise, and if so, why? What are the damaging effects it can have?
Thanks

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
The most harmful effect would be from the smoke. Tortoises have sensitive respiratory systems.

Please make sure that they don't blow the smoke directly at the tortoise to get it high as a joke. Reptiles also have receptors for THC, but they don't understand that getting high is supposed to be recreational. Tortoises associate "feeling different/weird" to being ill, so it can be stressful for them.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Hi,
My housemates have recently purchased a Horsefield/Russian tortoise and smoke marijuana in the same room as it a couple of times a week. Is this bad for the tortoise, and if so, why? What are the damaging effects it can have?
Thanks
I do not know the exact answer to that as I doubt there has been any scientific study/controlled experiments. However, common sense would dictate that smoking in the same room with a tortoise is not advisable.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi,
Thanks
I think breathing in any kind of smoke is not good for any living thing. Probably not the best idea. Maybe try somehow to convert them to edibles?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
Thanks
Inhaling any smoke from anything burning is not good for any animal.

I think you already knew the answer to this question.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I picture a tort table with a tortoise in it. Somebody in the room smoking anything and blowing smoke into the room air. That does not hurt anything. But blowing smoke around the tortoise closely would hurt. Weed or cigarettes, does not make a difference, just open a window

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I think breathing in any kind of smoke is not good for any living thing. Probably not the best idea. Maybe try somehow to convert them to edibles?
I picture a tort table with a tortoise in it. Somebody in the room smoking anything and blowing smoke into the room air. That does not hurt anything. But blowing smoke around the tortoise closely would hurt. Weed or cigarettes, does not make a difference, just open a window
Unfortunately, opening a window or door doesn"t dispel the leftover residue from any kind of smoke. Everyone in my family smoked cigarettes & I had asthma so bad that it was only relieved when i left home and smoking became frowned on in public places.

I worked in bars, clothing stores, had bosses who smoked cigars, took back Christmas presents reeking of smoke, etc., the smoke residue of whatever someone smokes never goes away until it's destroyed.

saracheri

East Texas
Tortoises need freshest air possible & ALL your attention . In captivity YOU are their only key to survival. They will die & then it's so sad forever.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
Not to mention the fact that a tortoise is not a small human wearing a backpack. THC is toxic to other mammals like dogs, who knows what it would do to a reptile and at what concentration it could be harmful.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have three turtles at home and I smoke marijuana almost every day in the apartment, and they are still alive. Of course, if there is too much smoke in the apartment, I open the window so that the turtles do not suffocate. I have often observed them and their behavior is no different from ordinary turtles. Knowing that I do not cause any harm to the turtles by my smoking, I order marijuana monthly at https://online-dispensary.net/. You don't have to worry because turtles don't die from smoke (unless you blow the smoke directly into their aquarium). It is better to pay attention to how often they ventilate the room.
Pretty sure This person is a spammer.

Skip K

Virginia
“Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.”
Remember turtles and tortoises have small lungs compared to humans and smoking anything inside deposits a layer of residue on everything in a room