Small red colouring on shell

Tomhayter

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Today I have noticed that my 4 year old Russian tortoise Darwin has a slight red colouring under his middle scute at the front of his shell. I have uploaded two pictures, on the second middle scute from the front there is a small red colouring. Is this anything to worry about? I’m not sure what this could be? Can anyone help?

Thank you

Tom

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

Bambam1989

East Texas
It looks to me like he has bruised it? Is there anything in his enclosure he could have hit?

Tomhayter

Essex
Well today he managed to get under the wooden parting in his enclosure by pushing it up (first time he’s done that). On the other side are some smaller Russians.
So if it is a bruise, will this heal naturally? Is it anything to worry about?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I don't believe there is anything to do for it. It may be tender for a while. Sort of like when you smash a fingernail.
Because I am not an expert, I fully recommend getting a second opinion from another forum member... Someone should chime in soon:)

Tomhayter

Essex
Ok thanks, will wait and see if someone else can leave a second opinion!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Is that the only red spot? Have you checked his plastron? Not saying it is but when you see red spots it can indicate sepsis which is very bad. Just my thoughts. I am sure someone else will come along to help.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Today I have noticed that my 4 year old Russian tortoise Darwin has a slight red colouring under his middle scute at the front of his shell. I have uploaded two pictures, on the second middle scute from the front there is a small red colouring. Is this anything to worry about? I’m not sure what this could be? Can anyone help?

Thank you

Tom
Yvonne G

Well, I don’t know how to tag someone I guess! But, I tried

Tomhayter

Essex
Thank you.
Yeah that’s the only place there is red. There is no red on the plastron.
It would make sense that is a bruise as the wooden divide could have given him a knock there when he climbed under it?
He is a very active and hungry tortoise, if it was sepsis he would be withdrawn and lathargic?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Cheryl Hills - you have to put " @ " in front of the username.

It looks like a bruise to me too. The tortoise looks like he doesn't get any real sun, and maybe the shell is a bit weak or soft???

Tomhayter

Essex
So the bruise will heal naturally??

It has been a bit too cold over the past few months to put him outside as temperatures in England aren’t great from September through to April time. It’s also very wet outside!
He has a UVB lamp on every day to replicate the sun.
Would you suggest taking him out in the sun for a little bit about even if it’s cold just to get some natural light? Or anything else?