small outdoor heated hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I am currently working on my outdoor enclosure for my 2 new adult Russian Torts (darting out between rain and hail storms, sometimes in them :rolleyes: ). Being in the NW, I am paying particular attention to drainage. Thus, it will be a raised bed, which does limit size to some extent.
I have searched the forum, but most references to heated outdoor enclosures are for sheds.
I hope to put in a small heated insulated hide, perhaps 2.5W X 2H X 18" high. I have seen reference to the Reptitherm Habitat Heater by ZooMed. Since it is safe outdoors and can be used on the ceiling, built in thermostat, etc., I thought it might work with a lower ceiling. I am a bit nervous about light fixtures in smaller hides.
Does anyone have experience with this?

PS. I will try to post pics soon.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I had a large well insulated dog house that I was able to heat all winter with just a light bulb. 2" rigid styrofoam (blue board)will give you about r10. If you insulate the floor as well, it will be much easier to maintain temperatures.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A pad and maybe a heat cable, you can run the heat cable around the walls and roof attached with tape or staples. I would like to see what you come up with?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
How about a pig matt? I use one in the basement for Lana, not sure f they are outdoor safe.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, I was looking at those too. The Reptitherm pad seems similar: heavy duty waterrpoof plastic, etc., but is marked 'for outdoor and indoor use'. Not a bad price. More variation in size with the pig blanket, so will keep that option open.

Missy said:
How about a pig matt? I use one in the basement for Lana, not sure f they are outdoor safe.

Great idea, I could start with the pad heater on the roof, and add side (outdoor) cables if can't maintain warmth. Will keep that in mind.

motero said:
A pad and maybe a heat cable, you can run the heat cable around the walls and roof attached with tape or staples. I would like to see what you come up with?

Status
Not open for further replies.