Quick temporary heated hide??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hi, does anyone have an idea for a quick temporary outdoor heated hide? I was thinking dog house with a large CHE. But, if we drill a hole and hang it from the ceiling water will get in. So then I thought we could do that and then tarp the top but it seems kind of weak. Any other idea's?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you have the cord go in the upper side of the dog house, silicone the opening, and then attach the CHE securely to the roof inside, might avoid leaking.
I use something called a hound heater that was designed for dog houses outside, which I like, but sounds like you are looking for quick/temporary?
Here is the site using a deck box and a CHE, cord goes out under the lid, but you could cut an opening:
http://www.russiantortoise.org/deck_box.htm

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you hang a screw eye or cup holder from one of the support "beams" inside the house, you shouldn't need to make any holes to the exterior. You can run the cord in through the upper corner of the door way or make a small hole under the eaves of the dog house where rain can't get in. Just make sure to leave a "drip loop" which ever way you do it, so that water doesn't follow the cord to the connection with your CHE fixture or drip inside the doghouse.

Next use a thermostat. I like the "A Life" one. Its cheap, but very accurate and reliable with all all sorts of heating devices, indoors or out. I use them all over my ranch.

Last, if you put some vinyl flaps over the doorway, it will hold in a surprising amount of heat and keep out wind and rain. For summertime, you probably won't need more than a 60 or a 100 watt CHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.