Slow worm living alongside tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dorset, England
I was taken by suprise today when picking some weeds for my two russians... (they have munched the flower heads from the bottom of the plant and are unable to reach the flowers on top, bless 'em!).. to find a slow worm hiding in the soil, it slide off very quickly so i was unable to take a picture!
I have done a bit of research and it seems they are very good for the garden, eatting slugs and weeds (hopefully not all the weeds as the tortoises like them!)..but my concern is will it cause harm to the torts? my garden is enclosed, i wonder how it got in in the first place! i presume they are gentle and won't bite? but what about diesease etc? any thoughts? x

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Slowworms are awesome! Many years ago they used to be available as pets here in the U.S. and I had a small group of them. They are no longer imported and from my understanding protected in most of Europe? They appear to be very common in the wild so I am suprised that they are not imported as pets anymore. I wish we had them here!

They can live with your tortoise outdoors with no concern. Other than both species sharing the common practice of burrowing, they have very different dietary requirements. Russian tortoises are strictly herbivorous and Slowworms are strictly carnivorous. The Slowworms will not harm your tortoise in any way. They do not bite, even when handled and there should be no concern of disease because it is extremely doubtful that they will ever come in contact with each other.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Dorset, England
Thats good news! so they are a welcome guest, and can control the slugs!
Yes i have just read they are protected here in the UK, I just hope that the cats don't spot it....

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Gaddy,
they are not common in most of the areal... indeed, some isolate locations can be very populated. Cool England should be a fine place for them.

Lauren,
Anguis fragilis eating weeds :)- that was a good one. I wish to be honoured by such a visitor, but my yard is quite dry and exposed, than barely a Natrix natrix can find it worthy. Yes, cats are dangerous... when I had a lot of them, they ate lots of lizards too... well, lizards are abundent in my yard, but I was always sorry about them. Kill the cats :))!

Status
Not open for further replies.