Sliders nail fluttering

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA

They’re all beauties![emoji2]
I don’t know that much about the different sliders, myself. But my neighbor has a Cumberland Slider, and its plastron is totally yellow with no marks, so these might not be Cumberland’s, but don’t quote me on that! [emoji38]

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Markw84 any thoughts on the type of sliders these are?

These turtles would best be called Cumberland Sliders. Trachemys scripta troostii This species has 3 subspecies and they are among the most common turtles available in the world. The Yellow-bellied Slider Trachemys scripta scripta. The Red-eared Slider Trachemys scripta elegans. The Cumberland Slider Trachemys scripta troostii.

The problem is that there have been so many Red-Ears T s elegans commercially farmed and sold world-wide, and then released into the wild, there are all variations of inter-grades. The commercial farms producing 100,000+ turtles each years may often have elegans in with troostii and also with scripta. So we end up with turtles that have characteristics that are blended between the 3 subspecies.

These turtles seem to be pretty characteristic of T s troostii from what I can see. A good carapace shot, neck striping shot, and rear thigh striping shot would help, but they certainly appear more T s troostii and would be best called Cumberland Sliders.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
These turtles would best be called Cumberland Sliders. Trachemys scripta troostii This species has 3 subspecies and they are among the most common turtles available in the world. The Yellow-bellied Slider Trachemys scripta scripta. The Red-eared Slider Trachemys scripta elegans. The Cumberland Slider Trachemys scripta troostii.

The problem is that there have been so many Red-Ears T s elegans commercially farmed and sold world-wide, and then released into the wild, there are all variations of inter-grades. The commercial farms producing 100,000+ turtles each years may often have elegans in with troostii and also with scripta. So we end up with turtles that have characteristics that are blended between the 3 subspecies.

These turtles seem to be pretty characteristic of T s troostii from what I can see. A good carapace shot, neck striping shot, and rear thigh striping shot would help, but they certainly appear more T s troostii and would be best called Cumberland Sliders.
Thanks, Mark! I always learn from your posts!!! :):<3:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Thanks, very interesting. That is what I figured they're just a bunch of Muts!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'll see if I can get some better pics

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here's some more

Attachments

• 20180415_132441-1.jpg
    20180415_132441-1.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180415_132301.jpg
    20180415_132301.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180415_115333.jpg
    20180415_115333.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180415_115330-1.jpg
    20180415_115330-1.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180415_132117.jpg
    20180415_132117.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180415_132132.jpg
    20180415_132132.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 14

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yeah, I was noticing they don’t have red ears, which is why I asked. I wonder if they’re some other kind of Slider? I always thought the red ears were pretty dominant, and it seems odd for all 3 to not have red ears.
@Markw84 any thoughts on the type of sliders these are?
Thanks for bringing that up. I have thought about it before, and this has turned into a great informative convo for me

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
OK. I'm surprised! Those pictures show a Yellow-bellied with what appears to be some Cumberland influence. Lots of Yellow-bellied traits there, but the pattern on the plastron shows Cumberland influence as well as the stripes on the neck and the "butt". Most people would probably call those Yellow-bellied Sliders Trachemys scripta scripta

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Cool thanks, Those were all pics of my female. As for my original post about fluttering I was concerned I had 4 boys. I'm now convinced I have 3 males and 1 female

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Well no doubt about it that I have atleast one male now. Earlier today he unveiled his, for lack of a better term, "Junk" for the first time I've ever seen.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do both male and female sliders flutter their nails, or just males?

It is usually a male thing...but hey, you know in life there are some chicks that are a little more assertive than the boring ones (I mean, the normal ones :))....females will flutter also, but usually will do it less as they age....

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It is usually a male thing...but hey, you know in life there are some chicks that are a little more assertive than the boring ones (I mean, the normal ones :))....females will flutter also, but usually will do it less as they age....
The one that I have that I suspect is female does flutter too. Glad to know she's not boring or as the kids say "basic" lol