Sleepy and weak ploughshare

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonR

5 Year Member
I thought it was essentially impossible to overdose on calcium? As it is water soulable.

coastal said:
You can very easily overdose with powders... I do not recommend using them more then two times a week. The mazuri will provide what is needed as you say it's eating this food now. More is not always better and this would be a good example of that. You're offering a varied diet which will be better then any powder in a can would provide.

Radiated

5 Year Member
samstar said:
Have you done a poop test for worms?

Is that a reason for weak and sleepy? Cuz I'm not sure where to get it tested here in China. Plus do you have to tell them what species, most have no clue at all about tortoises. But what if it hasn't pooped yet since i got it, how can i get it tested?!!!!

samstar

5 Year Member
Radiated said:
samstar said:

Is that a reason for weak and sleepy? Cuz I'm not sure where to get it tested here in China. Plus do you have to tell them what species, most have no clue at all about tortoises. But what if it hasn't pooped yet since i got it, how can i get it tested?!!!!

Just like dogs and cats have to be dewormed, the same goes for tortoises. You should start looking for a good vet for your tort, you never know when you need to see one. Perhaps you can check with your local Zoo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
JacksonR said:
I thought it was essentially impossible to overdose on calcium? As it is water soulable.

coastal said:
You can very easily overdose with powders... I do not recommend using them more then two times a week. The mazuri will provide what is needed as you say it's eating this food now. More is not always better and this would be a good example of that. You're offering a varied diet which will be better then any powder in a can would provide.

It can cause other complications. I've been told that an excess of calcium can cause kidney or bladder stones in an animal that is not properly hydrated. An excess of calcium also interferes with the absorption and balance of other minerals and trace elements. This imbalance can cause them to show symptoms of being sick.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Eye issues are typically related to dryness and or a lack of vitamin A. This is very common in yellowfoots when kept too dry and not supplemented enough. calcium is always a good additive for your tort but so is essential vitamin supplements if they do t receive enough in their diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Radiated said:
samstar said:

You need to find an experienced tortoise vet that knows and has seen what they are looking for. They do not need to know which species, they just need to know its a tortoise. You should be able to leave the tortoise at home and just take a fecal sample to the vet.

wildak

5 Year Member
You can buy a really cheap microscope (under $50 US) and test for worms, eggs and Flagilites. With 400 power you can see all you need to see. Read up on it, it's super easy, saves you trips to the vet and you tend to test more often when you don't have to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.