Sleeping under the light

Tort1419

I just got a Russian tortoise, his enclosure is huge. It's in the shape of an L. I find him sleeping under his basking light for most of the day, generally from 7:00 to 4-5 pm . But every once in a while he will get up and move. Is this normal??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
not really I have to wonder what the temperature is at

Tort1419

He moves into three major spots when he is sleeping under his light, on the rock, it's between 100 and 106 degrees. Or to the right of the rock, it's about 99-95, and the other side 97-94 @dmmj

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is the temp,of the rest of the enclosure? Also, do you have any humdity for him? He would benefit from a warm humid hide.

Tort1419

For the rest, here is the warm side, 98-80 and the cool side, 79-74. He has tons of humid hides, humidity reaching between 70 and 90 percent in hides, 60-70 ambient humidity @wellington
I should add that he is eating just fine, I got him 3 days ago and he does explore his enclosure, he just sleeps a lot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hmm, well I'm stumped. Is the places he is sleeping most have more cover from above then the rest?

Tort1419

Yep so far he has either slept in his log hides, or dug himself into the dirt , this I mean is where he sleeps when he goes to bed, when he sleeps under his light, he sleeps put in the open @wellington

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
after your description you nothing jumped out at me. It would help to see a picture of the enclosure.well its not normal I don't see any harm either.for now if he's eating and hydrating I would just watch hin probably schedule a visit for parasites check.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Maybe just the new environment thing.
he's only been there 3 days and may still be adjusting to everything being new, and keeping still through fear of predators, being on another torts territory and you going to eat him.
Hopefully he'll adjust in a bit.
it's actually rather wonderful he's eating and exploring at all, some don't for ages.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
when they readjust to a new environment they usually hide this one isn't hiding just sleeping all day under the light

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
But some small ones are afraid of hides and holes as they think there may be a predator in there.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
afraid of hides I have never heard such a thing. their natural instinct is to hide in a hide when they're small

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I can only speak from experience of Greeks and what I have heard of sulcatas.
i have seen young Greeks scuttle away from holes they don't know are safe, they will just pretend to be rocks and keep still, which would explain the situation here, or dig a hole themselves.
It is sometimes difficult to get a tortoise to go into a new hide and I have had to physically put one into it until it gets used to it.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
all I can say is in 30 years of tortoise keeping I've never seen a tortoise young or old afraid of a new hole

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well, fine.
Anyway, this one isn't afraid of his hides as he sleeps there at night sometimes, or digs himself a hole.
So maybe he's just sunbathing all the day ?
I still think it's likely an adjustment to new quarters.