Sleeping Turtles

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Good evening!

How often do y'all notice your turtles sleeping? At night, during the day, doesn't matter.

With all my previous turtles (Southern painted, razorback musk, Mississippi map, giant mexican musk) I noticed them sleep pretty rarely except when I came up to them late at night when the lights had been out for a while.

The Rio Grande Cooters I have now seem to sleep a bit more during the day. At all random times during the day, I'll notice sometimes one or more closed eyes sleeping. If there is much activity they open eyes and start swimming around.

Just curious what other experiences are.

20240229_180820.jpg20240229_180824.jpg

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
My box turtle digs in to sleep so I usually don't see her. When I do, she seems to sense it and jerks her head to look at me as she opens her eyes....kinda freaky

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
My box turtle digs in to sleep so I usually don't see her. When I do, she seems to sense it and jerks her head to look at me as she opens her eyes....kinda freaky
Ya its interesting to think about what it is that THEY sense when that happens. When the aquatic turtles wake up, its never me tapping on the glass or anything like that. I bend to look at them and they just know. I'm guessing something about the way the other fish/turtles in the tank start behaving moves the water in a weird way or something.