Russian tortoise hibernating?

Krischris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hallo!
We have Russian tortoise named Dusty for 4 years now. He was one year old when we got him. We never let him hibernate so I know what to do in that end. I was pretty scared that he would not "wake up".
I was just wondering if I should left him alone since he is in one hiding spot and looks comfortable. I still have his light on but I didn't feed or bath him for few days now. ( He looked more then ever bothered by baths and mostly didn't eat) He is not trying to come out of his spot either and is sleeping. Is there some hibernating prep we didn't do and it's to late?
What should I do?
Thank you for your help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum, @Krischris .

Am not a tort expert, so I cannot help - sorry. Let's ask the experts for help.

@Yvonne G
@Tom

please help. Thank you, both.

In the meantime, please post pics of your tort and and his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hallo!
We have Russian tortoise named Dusty for 4 years now. He was one year old when we got him. We never let him hibernate so I know what to do in that end. I was pretty scared that he would not "wake up".
I was just wondering if I should left him alone since he is in one hiding spot and looks comfortable. I still have his light on but I didn't feed or bath him for few days now. ( He looked more then ever bothered by baths and mostly didn't eat) He is not trying to come out of his spot either and is sleeping. Is there some hibernating prep we didn't do and it's to late?
What should I do?
Thank you for your help!
Its about a month long process to get them ready to hibernate, for me anyway. If you didn't do all that, I would get him up daily and soak him in warm water daily or every other.

What are your temperatures and what lighting equipment are you using? What sort of enclosure and what size? We can give you some tips to help convince your tortoise it is not "winter".

Krischris

5 Year Member
Utah
Thank you for your answer! I should start to learn how to let him hibernate in the future. I will soak him daily like we did before and increase his lighting. He is in wood zoo med tortoise house. He has wood chips for bedding and few wood logs barks us hiding place, food bawl and one zoo med UVA/UVB heating lamp. I always add one heating lamp for winter.
He is located on main floor of the house by the window so it's never to cold there and he get plenty natural light and sun. (We still use the lamp daily)
In the summer time he has "summer house" outside and we bring him home for night...