Skin flaking off of Russian hatchling's legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
When I was soaking my 9-month old Russian today I noticed he has bits of skin hanging off of his legs. I know they shed but this wasn't how I was picturing the shed skin. Does this sound somewhat normal?
Sorry I'm neurotic and ask questions about everything :rolleyes:

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I think its fine. I always see Danny reassuring that its normal. Hes just growin'!

Oh! i forgot to say, "i dont have russians but,...."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually it is the skin around the neck that flakes off. If the area under the shed skin is red or raw-looking, something is wrong.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
No it isn't red or raw-looking. However, the actual shed isn't extremely thin and white like I would picture shed skin to look like (thinking of my geckos here.) I will try to get a picture tomorrow- he's asleep for the night.
I'm just concerned because on another forum someone has a tortoise who is dying and his skin is sloughing off!

M

Maggie Cummings

Fat Nat has had skin off her legs like what you describe and it's seriously hard for me to not pull it off. But I think it's normal. I have put baby oil on several torts and that's really not a good idea, then the dirt sticks in various cracks and folds on their body where it wouldn't normally stick. So just leave it and it will fall off on it own. It won't happen like that very often...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I know, I was so tempted to just pull it off when it was floating next to him during his soak today :p
Thanks Maggie!

gyang333

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:
I know, I was so tempted to just pull it off when it was floating next to him during his soak today :p
Thanks Maggie!
wait, you shouldn't pull the flaking skin off? I was tempted to on my Squishy but I didn[t as it was on his neck and i didn['t want to scare him.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My Russian has normal peeling on his neck, head, and arms/legs. Just do regular soaks and/or have water available and leave it alone. Never pull skin off or apply anything but water or prescribed meds to a tort's skin. It is tough to know if the skin is "ready" to come off. You don't want the tort to be injured by your "help". In the wild they shed on their own. Best wishes.

S

stells

Like this...
tortoises904.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ChiKat said:
I'm just concerned because on another forum someone has a tortoise who is dying and his skin is sloughing off!

Chances are that this person's tortoise is suffering from an overdose of Vitamin A. When this kind of sloughing occurs, it is red and raw underneath. Normal flaking of the skin is ok.

M

Maggie Cummings

stells said:
Like this...
tortoises904.jpg

What a grumpy looking tortoise!!! Looks just like me...the next time there's a posting asking for my picture would you send them that shot right there Kelly? That's MY face right there...hahaha

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe they need some head and shoulders? (J/K)

Status
Not open for further replies.