10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I wonder if he is actually 3 or is that a "3 year old petco russian"

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
I am thinking about going to get this little Guy since i am local...However I have a russian but i have only had him a few months. It sounds like hes gonna need some help...Dont know if i am knowledable enough to help but would like to try...What do you guys think?

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
he said he doesnt have a camera...But he said the shell is small and the body itself is out more than a normal russian tort. its like the shell is to small for him..he also has a beak issue. he said he is eating very well...very active.

S

Scooter

The beak issue could just be overgrown. If you think you can get him I would, we will of course help all we can.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Ok I am going to go get him tonight when i get out of work...I am gonna definatly need help lol..

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Sweetness_bug said:
Ok I am going to go get him tonight when i get out of work...I am gonna definatly need help lol..

Making someone pay $75 for it though, seems fishy to me. Whether it was actually a "rescue" or this person's own fault, I surely wouldn't make someone pay that much (if anything) for a tortoise that will clearly need a lot of expenses to care for.

I'm local as well, but no room to house Russians. I see a lot, a lot of russians on the detroit craigslist.

Good luck though on getting it, I am sure people can help here.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Sweetness_bug said:
thanks...What do you house Rob?

Two Leopards (7 months and 18 months).

The description of the russian you're getting reminds me of this.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/webdiet.htm

About 3/4 the way down is a picture of a box turtle with an obvious deformity.

I am sure that the one you aren't getting is quite as bad. but hearing this made me think of that picture.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Seiryu said:
Sweetness_bug said:
thanks...What do you house Rob?

Two Leopards (7 months and 18 months).

The description of the russian you're getting reminds me of this.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/webdiet.htm

About 3/4 the way down is a picture of a box turtle with an obvious deformity.

I am sure that the one you aren't getting is quite as bad. but hearing this made me think of that picture.

Thanks rob for the info...Im going to hope for the best. Hopefully its something we can fix.. I am certainly going to try. if you dont mnd me asking where in Mich do you live?

I have a leopard also..I beleive he is a he so i was told. hes 8" and beautiful.

Thanks again for the input

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the small shell sounds like pickles the box turtle.

well if you have any questions I have owned russians for 10 years now.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
I hope not...What would cause such a thing like that..WOW

the small shell sounds like pickles the box turtle.

well if you have any questions I have owned russians for 10 years now.
[/quote]

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No humidity and severe MBD.

There is NO way I would pay $75 for a deformed Russian. I would take it and love it just the way it is, but to ask that much for a deformed animal is not right.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Yeah but my concern is that the person who is selling this may not know how to take care of it or caused it. At least I know if i get it i can make effort and try to get it back to health if possible with everyones help. at least i know its safe. So If i have to pay the 75.00 to do that I guess i will.

No humidity and severe MBD.

There is NO way I would pay $75 for a deformed Russian. I would take it and love it just the way it is, but to ask that much for a deformed animal is not right.

[/quote]

S

Scooter

You might be able to get them to lower the cost, just explain that the tort is going to need a lot of medical care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry too much about the tortoise being too big for its body. My sister, Maggie, has Natasha, a Russian tortoise, who is also like that. She does just fine. There is no special care involved except that she can't bring her limbs and head in totally, so she has to be protected from leg/head harm. But you do that anyway, right?

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Ok...So I went and got him...Im setting up a emprary enclosure for the next 2 nights and then do a permanate one over the weekend. I will take pics soon and post em as i get him cleaned up. Hes very friendly...Not too bad i think...His shell is alittle deformed andis a little to small for his body. His back end kinda hangs out. Hes darker in clor and has a beak on him. But hes very sweet...I pretty sure he is male. Thanks every one..

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Ok Pics are up everyone take a look at the thread i started for the pics...Thanks everyone for the help and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.