Redfoot in Holly, Michigan

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Hey guys I bought a new 40 gallon breeder tank today. It came with a red foot tortoise! For some reason the site isn't letting me upload pictures right now. So you guys will have to wait.

Substrate was bone dry. She had a stick on hygrometer in the tank that said 80% and a digital that said 71%. I suspected both were wrong. There was no way it was that humid in there. The tort has some mild pyramiding and the shell looked bone dry. So I brought her home and gave her a quick soak, wet down the bottom layer of substrate, replaced the MVB with a CHE, built a quick thermostat I could run the CHE off of, set the whole thing at 85f, put tin foil over the screen top, and ran here to tell you guys all about it.

Now... bed time. I have to be up in 3 hours for work.

@TerrapinStation When I am beyond tired tomorrow at work I am going to loudly blame you to anyone who will listen. You really need to stay away from craigslist. It is a bad habit.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
YESSSSSSS best news ever. Blame away! I have thick skin, I can take some serious name calling.

Its totally understandable. You NEEDED that tank. and it just so happens there WAS A TORTOISE IN IT. Nothing you could do about that. Happens all the time.

Congrats! looking forward to pictures.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
And yes, my craigslist problem has gone out of control. Negotiating right now for 2 LL Bean Kayaks I DO NOT need. I already have 2 kayaks, and 2 canoes. But they are a smokin deal, so what the heck, right?

At least I will have the tortoises to keep me company when I get kicked out & have to live out on the lake in my new kayak.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Woohoo, good job getting him. I have know idea why you can't post pis, no time out given. I have seen where others have had problems too in the last week or so. Keep trying to post and in the meantime we will alert @Josh to picture posting being denied.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
And yes, my craigslist problem has gone out of control. Negotiating right now for 2 LL Bean Kayaks I DO NOT need. I already have 2 kayaks, and 2 canoes. But they are a smokin deal, so what the heck, right?

At least I will have the tortoises to keep me company when I get kicked out & have to live out on the lake in my new kayak.
You can come live in the tort shed with me. I already have joked about setting up a hammock.

If you are coming though I better double the size of this thing. Between the two of us we will have far too many tortoises.

We should make a sign for the front that says Tortoise zoo, and then we can charge admission.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
It does come with the territory. Not a good place to be weak and timid that is for sure. I have been working in the city of Detroit since I was 14 and have seen, heard and experienced some very interesting things. Just today I saw a discount mattress shop consumed by fire on my way to work. It was so hot, I could feel the heat from inside my car. Firefighters had no choice but to let it burn, the store was packed so thick with mattresses there was no chance of putting it out.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/watch-live-fire-erupts-at-mattress-store-in-warren

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I also have the rabbit, a gerbil, 55 gallon freshwater tank, beta fish, and a collection of houseplants. We might as well just rent an abandoned Walmart and setup shop.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I played in punk bands for over a decade and a half. I have spent MASSIVE amounts of time in Detroit and Flint. I consider then honorary home towns. So the three cities I've practically grew up in all make the top ten most dangerous cities in the country. I laugh when I travel and people point out "the bad parts of town" to me.

Speaking of Detroit, I will be at St Andy's on Tuesday for a concert. Probably going to grab some Nikki's before hand.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Two dogs, two guinea pigs, rabbit, cat, bearded dragon, and of course the torts.

I won't claim the rabbits or guinea pigs though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is anybody else having issues posting pictures? Every time I try it tells me that I don't have permission to do that. Did somebody put me in a forum timeout? I knew I shouldn't have posted those nude self portraits...

Let me give it a try:

03-131-15 Darth X-ray b.jpg

Nope - works for me.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I played in punk bands for over a decade and a half. I have spent MASSIVE amounts of time in Detroit and Flint. I consider then honorary home towns. So the three cities I've practically grew up in all make the top ten most dangerous cities in the country. I laugh when I travel and people point out "the bad parts of town" to me.

Speaking of Detroit, I will be at St Andy's on Tuesday for a concert. Probably going to grab some Nikki's before hand.

Who's playing? I have hard time going down there since Mr Steve passed away. Do you remember the old greek guy who owned the bar next to St. Andrews?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Great thread and a great result for TerrapinStation , saginawhxc and ,most importantly, the redfoot.
Good home assured.:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Is anybody else having issues posting pictures? Every time I try it tells me that I don't have permission to do that. Did somebody put me in a forum timeout? I knew I shouldn't have posted those nude self portraits...
And these photos.........
Link to the thread, please.;)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I am a lowly peon who doesn't have mod powers and I too am unable to ad images via attachment from my phone.