Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozwin

5 Year Member
Ok Ozwins almost 3 and is about 4ish inches (just over)(on a different thread I said about 5inches but I guessed with my thumb so I think I was wrong lol...) I've just seen a picture of someone elses tortoise who is 4 and it fits in the palm of their hand!! Is Ozwin abnormally big??

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Young Hermann's tortoises, along with other Testudo and many other tortoise species, often grow at different rates based on several influences including, but not limited to: diet, volume of food, water (more appropriately lack of), consistency of heat (too much), environment and more. Along with those factors mother nature sometimes also selects some to grow faster than others even while living in identical conditions. It's not unusual for tortoises from the same clutch to be very different in size in a year or two time. After a few years into full adulthood they all end up being similar size.
In captivity tortoises can grow too quickly due to many key factors not being properly observed. Main causes for this "accelerated growth" is being fed a diet too rich, much higher volume of feedings (of high vitamin foods), overuse of supplemental vitamins, lack of sufficient water/humidity, being kept consistently too warm and being kept too confined without enough room for movement. The result of this accelerated growth shows up in pyramiding of the shell, deformities, overgrown and deformed nails and overgrown beaks. Those are only the exterior features that are apparent.
If your tortoise has relatively smooth growth, straight sharp nails and does not appear to have any out of proportionate growth and seems to be routinely active it is probably just fine.
Post a recent photo of your tortoise and let's see.

ozwin

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Young Hermann's tortoises, along with other Testudo and many other tortoise species, often grow at different rates based on several influences including, but not limited to: diet, volume of food, water (more appropriately lack of), consistency of heat (too much), environment and more. Along with those factors mother nature sometimes also selects some to grow faster than others even while living in identical conditions. It's not unusual for tortoises from the same clutch to be very different in size in a year or two time. After a few years into full adulthood they all end up being similar size.
In captivity tortoises can grow too quickly due to many key factors not being properly observed. Main causes for this "accelerated growth" is being fed a diet too rich, much higher volume of feedings (of high vitamin foods), overuse of supplemental vitamins, lack of sufficient water/humidity, being kept consistently too warm and being kept too confined without enough room for movement. The result of this accelerated growth shows up in pyramiding of the shell, deformities, overgrown and deformed nails and overgrown beaks. Those are only the exterior features that are apparent.
If your tortoise has relatively smooth growth, straight sharp nails and does not appear to have any out of proportionate growth and seems to be routinely active it is probably just fine.
Post a recent photo of your tortoise and let's see.

Sorry for the late reply, here's some pics taken just now.

oh btw I guested his size (I'm bad with guessing sizes) as you'll know see.... She's actuall 7inches

Attachments

• New house.jpeg
    New house.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 26
  • On bark.jpeg
    On bark.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Oz.jpg
    Oz.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 36

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the size of your tortoise habitat, but she needs a hiding place.

Yvonne

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Fairly new to this tortoise buisness myself, so don't think i'll be much help. I like your enclosure. Have you thought about getting some fake plants? Alfie loves to climb all over them... you should be able to them fairly cheaply at a pet shop

ozwin

5 Year Member
There a little hide at the far end of the enclosure (oposite side to the lights)... I was thinking about gettin some real plants ?? But not sure what kind to get, any advice? I've had a log put in and also gonna get maybe a plant pot for her to hide in and some slates to climb on.... Thnkas for the comments on the enclosure :):) well worth making it now that u tort lovers like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.