Six boxies digging nests! (Now 7!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
It's a strange night here tonight. I have six box turtles digging nests! (Three 3 toeds, a luteola, an eastern, and a gulfie.) I've had 2 lay eggs on the same night before but this has never happened! I wonder why today?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Six boxies digging nests!

That's pretty cool! I want to get into box turtles once I get a big yard, esp since I have 3 sulcatas lol do you incubate the eggs?

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Re: Six boxies digging nests!

Maybe they're having a contest to see who can lay the most eggs ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
RE: Six boxies digging nests!

lkwagner said:
That's pretty cool! I want to get into box turtles once I get a big yard, esp since I have 3 sulcatas lol do you incubate the eggs?

I incubate some of them. Sometimes I just leave them and wait for the surprise! :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
RE: Six boxies digging nests!

That is so cool! Synchronized egg laying. We just had a super Super Moon on the 22nd and 23rd and I just wonder if that had anything to do with it in some way. : )

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
My EBTs are at it tonight too! Prior to tonight, I've only had one dig a hole a couple of different times just to give up and walk away in the middle of the night after working so hard for hours. I kept thinking she'd finally lay a few days ago during the full moon, but she didn't. This evening, 2 started just a foot or two apart and another was looking around demonstrating the same behavior. Perhaps, I'll get my FIRST eggs laid tonight. :) Congrats on yours!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I think it's just this great weather we are having. That's great news tho. Congrats!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Keeblercop said:
My EBTs are at it tonight too! Prior to tonight, I've only had one dig a hole a couple of different times just to give up and walk away in the middle of the night after working so hard for hours. I kept thinking she'd finally lay a few days ago during the full moon, but she didn't. This evening, 2 started just a foot or two apart and another was looking around demonstrating the same behavior. Perhaps, I'll get my FIRST eggs laid tonight. :) Congrats on yours!

Congrats!!! One Eastern dug the other night and gave up. The other is laying her third clutch this season. The three toeds have dug several nests (and I've stayed up very late at night) just to abandon them. Hopefully tonight is the night for all three of them. The gulfie has been pacing for days so she might abandon hers. The luteola showed no signs - just dug a nest and laid two HUGE eggs. Poor thing!

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
So, it's common for them to dig a hole and then abandon it? This is all new to me. The one who keeps digging through the night (until approx. 2 a.m.) always quits midway. She doesn't go back to the same hole the next time around either...she starts a new one in the same area.

The other one who dug for the first time last eve worked until about 1 a.m. and then just laid there...I went over with a light and she had her back legs stretched out and was sleeping/resting. I couldn't see the hole unless it was underneath of her, but saw what I thought was a dirty egg 1/3 exposed beside her leg. This a.m., I went out and there was no hole and it really didn't look like there ever had been one, so she must have tamped it down nicely. However, the same partially exposed dirty egg that I thought was there last night was still there. I went ahead and put a scoop of dirt on top. I'm not prepared to incubate...should I just leave it? Would it even be viable after they've walked on it today? It's down in the dirt good, but top 1/4 or 1/3 is exposed. How far down do they usually dig to lay?

Thanks to all in advance for any advice.

kimber_lee_314 said:
Keeblercop said:

Congrats!!! One Eastern dug the other night and gave up. The other is laying her third clutch this season. The three toeds have dug several nests (and I've stayed up very late at night) just to abandon them. Hopefully tonight is the night for all three of them. The gulfie has been pacing for days so she might abandon hers. The luteola showed no signs - just dug a nest and laid two HUGE eggs. Poor thing!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It is common for them to lay text holes, if they don't like it they give up on it. Can be a rock, twigs, to dry anything can cause them to say no to a nest. Make a fake rain storm and she will keep trying and hopefully find an area.

The 2nd one I would put a fence around the nest and let nature take its course

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you for the advice. :) I have been misting it down since the temps have been high here w/o rain. It's what spurred them on last night I think. Finally, after 4 days w/o rain, we got a huge storm today...hopefully it will put the other one back in the mood. :)

Should I have covered the other egg with a scoop of dirt? Should I add some more? Also, when you say fence it in...do you mean lay a piece over the nest area or to actually fence around the area? Lol, sorry for all the questions...

Millerlite said:
It is common for them to lay text holes, if they don't like it they give up on it. Can be a rock, twigs, to dry anything can cause them to say no to a nest. Make a fake rain storm and she will keep trying and hopefully find an area.

The 2nd one I would put a fence around the nest and let nature take its course

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah fence around it this will prevent a turtle from digging up the nest and ruin them, also when they hatch then they will be trapped and won't run and hide where you will never find them. You can use like 4 cinder blocks and put it around simple as that or chicken wire.

Sorry we went off track a little not meaning toooo

lkwagner

5 Year Member
When I lived at my parents we would always put chicken wire or whatever its called lol on top of the nest so nothing could eat the eggs but they could still get out when they hatched

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thanks again; I appreciate it. Yes, sorry to have hijacked the thread...I probably should've just started a new one.

Millerlite said:
Yeah fence around it this will prevent a turtle from digging up the nest and ruin them, also when they hatch then they will be trapped and won't run and hide where you will never find them. You can use like 4 cinder blocks and put it around simple as that or chicken wire.

Sorry we went off track a little not meaning toooo

Status
Not open for further replies.