Nesting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, OH
Hey guys. My female box turtle is getting ready to lay eggs. Yesterday she paced the enclosure all day sticking her face in the ground so i figured it was coming. Last night, right after lights out, she started digging a nest. I finally went to bed about midnight and she was still digging. I woke up this morning and it looked like she abandoned the nest site. My question is how long before she tries again? Could she have dug 2 nests last night or will it be a couple days? She is not acting like shes ready to lay anymore. I will keep looking for eggs but thanks for any help.

cincinnati box turtle

5 Year Member
Everytime my female boxie has laid eggs she tends to go in a trance. Each time she has dug two or three holes to find the right spot. Usually within a day or two she will lay them if she is ready.

Scott (Cincinnati)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
One year I had an Eastern that did this every night for three days, and then stopped. I found the empty holes under a few shrubs. I searched all over for the eggs but never found them. The following Summer I found two hatchlings. I'm guessing the others (if there was any) never made it through the Winter.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
Thank you both for replies. I'm happy to say that she has started digging again so at least I know I didn't miss the eggs somewhere. This is the first time I have tried to breed anything so I'm pretty excited. Wish me luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
cincinnati box turtle said:
Everytime my female boxie has laid eggs she tends to go in a trance. Each time she has dug two or three holes to find the right spot. Usually within a day or two she will lay them if she is ready.

Scott (Cincinnati)

Hi Scott:

Welcome to the forum!! (I love box turtles)

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
Update: she laid 2 eggs, both have been in the incubator for about 2 weeks now. They look good but I guess time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.