Singing redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
So southwest Alabama weather sucks. Its freaking May, and this sudden rainy weather we're having brought some wonderful 45'F chills. Sooooo...Had to bring my redfoots in for the night. Very vocal...sounds like the herd of brachiosaurs from the first Jurassic Park movie.

Anyone else have singing/moaning redfoots? BTW, they're not mating, there's not a equal pair among them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mine don't sing, but the weather here is still in the low 50's at night so I have to bring them in also. They are not too happy, and completely destroy their enclosure, so I let them walk around the kitchen as it's warm in there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO on the sucky weather. Had three days of mid 80's now down to 40's and heat back on:( Tatum staying in, to cold during the day for even the greenhouse:(

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Let me tell you a funny story ... My daughter was home alone and it was early evening already dark out and she kept hearing this weird noise, she said it sounded like a cross between a man moaning, a chicken clucking, a pig grunting and some off key singing ....she was convinced there was a man downstairs. She locked herself in the bathroom! I was stuck at work and couldn't leave. So she called her brothers friends who showed up with baseball bats and checked the house from top to bottom...found nothing. So she is sitting in her room and hears this noise again freaks out and locks herself in the bathroom until I came home. I checked the house over found nothing ... Then I heard it, by now daughter is hysterical ... I came down to the living room and I hear it again and again... It took me a good ten minutes to figure out it was coming from my Tyrone! I had no idea he even made noise so loud!

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I would love to hear a recording of these sounds-- too cool! I am currently setting up for a redfoot herd and if they really are that vocal then it just adds to how neat they are, in my opinion. :)

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Let me tell you a funny story ... My daughter was home alone and it was early evening already dark out and she kept hearing this weird noise, she said it sounded like a cross between a man moaning, a chicken clucking, a pig grunting and some off key singing ....she was convinced there was a man downstairs. She locked herself in the bathroom! I was stuck at work and couldn't leave. So she called her brothers friends who showed up with baseball bats and checked the house from top to bottom...found nothing. So she is sitting in her room and hears this noise again freaks out and locks herself in the bathroom until I came home. I checked the house over found nothing ... Then I heard it, by now daughter is hysterical ... I came down to the living room and I hear it again and again... It took me a good ten minutes to figure out it was coming from my Tyrone! I had no idea he even made noise so loud!

Oh my goodness! That's really funny and scary at the same time...
I let Princesse out for the first time a few days ago and she immediately started clucking!!! It's such a bizarre sound to come out of a tortoise. Must come with maturity...

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:

I let Princesse out for the first time a few days ago and she immediately started clucking!!! It's such a bizarre sound to come out of a tortoise. Must come with maturity...

I am sure it does! Tyrone wasn't this vocal when he was younger... Now he is a regular rock humping singing sensation!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Watsonpartyof4 said:
diaboliqueturtle said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:

I am sure it does! Tyrone wasn't this vocal when he was younger... Now he is a regular rock humping singing sensation!

Ya! She started whistling last year but the clucking is totally new. She was never really shy but now she's downright bold, looking to interact with us. She's so cool :-D

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Aww I love the clucking! And it is so cool when I start clucking at Tyrone he will look for me and cluck back and start coming toward me ... Of course I had better have a treat for him! I usually have a piece of food. Today he was standing I. His food dish clucking away...... So I jumped up and fed him...then I got to thinking who has who trained here?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
Tyrone is hoping a female walks through the door. Keep singing little man!

Ha ha ha well he can keep hoping and humping his rock!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Aww I love the clucking! And it is so cool when I start clucking at Tyrone he will look for me and cluck back and start coming toward me ... Of course I had better have a treat for him! I usually have a piece of food. Today he was standing I. His food dish clucking away...... So I jumped up and fed him...then I got to thinking who has who trained here?

That's so awesome! I love that interaction. Princesse's feeding slate is literally next to my dining chair and she sure has figured out that if she puts on a show, I'll share some goodies with her :-D

Ya, they have me trained too ;-P

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Wow! That's awesome :)

Life is good

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Yeah man that weather was ridiculous. All of mine have heated huts outside so they stay warm outside and keep their lovely noises with them.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Tortoises can make noise?! All daisy does is hiss when I interrupt her naps! XP also, the weather here is weird, too! Yesterday it was like 80-85* today it was like 65-70* and it rained on Monday!

haidao88

5 Year Member
Mine is only a year old, I live in Sacramento ca, I have her indoors, but maybe I mite want to put her out once in a while, what's your suggestion on housing for proper humidity

My tortoise Peach hates apples

Status
Not open for further replies.