Side height for Indian Star Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishguy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba, Canada
I'm constructing an enclosure for my Indian Star (still a baby). I'm at the point where I'm cutting windows for the side walls, and sliding windows for the front, and I'm not sure how high to keep the bottom portion under the windows to prevent the tortoise from seeing out the window and causing any stress/issues.

I was thinking originally 6 inches was probably sufficient for a Star, but now I'm thinking maybe 8 is better in case he/she grows into a large adult? Can anyone here offer any suggestions on proper height to ensure this will be appropriate for long term?

Thank you.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If it's a long term enclosure, I would go no less than 10 inches. I have had escape issues with anything late than that.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Tortoises have pretty good 'edge' perception. Why do you think the windows will be "causing any stress/issues". What of all those tortoises in all glass aquariums?

Stars have actually been used in lab experiments to demonstrate how strong the edge perception is.

However, if you are worried about the tortoise looking out the window, put the window where it works best for the construction, and opaque them at the ever higher level needed to eliminate that stress issue, then the light coming in will be at the tortoise level, and not create a " in a pit" perception for the animal.

Will

fishguy

5 Year Member
Manitoba, Canada
Neal said:
If it's a long term enclosure, I would go no less than 10 inches. I have had escape issues with anything late than that.

I'm not so worried with escape, as it's going to be a fully enclosed setup, not just an open top table. I had read over and over that tortoises don't do well if they can see out, and don't understand that the glass is a barrier and may continuously try to push through it, possibly causing injury to their nose/mouth area. That's really my only concern.

Will said:
Tortoises have pretty good 'edge' perception. Why do you think the windows will be "causing any stress/issues". What of all those tortoises in all glass aquariums?

Stars have actually been used in lab experiments to demonstrate how strong the edge perception is.

However, if you are worried about the tortoise looking out the window, put the window where it works best for the construction, and opaque them at the ever higher level needed to eliminate that stress issue, then the light coming in will be at the tortoise level, and not create a " in a pit" perception for the animal.

Will

Only because I've read time and time again that keeping in a glass type terrarium may cause them to constantly try to get out and rub their faces on the glass, not understanding that the glass is there. I just don't want to cause any injuries from rubbing or stress from always trying to walk through the glass.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, valid concern for an uncertainty.

The window is for illumination? So you can look in?

Put the windows where it makes sense for construction, and use opaque mask to make it illuminating and view in, while visibly a barrier for the tortoise.

Maybe the size of the enclosure will be such that you can use very big, or only small windows. The idea of an opaque mask on some of the window is suggested so that whatever you do, if the limits of design and space force a choice, you can still reduce any "stress/issue" after your build, no matter the placement of the window.

Will

fishguy said:
Neal said:

I'm not so worried with escape, as it's going to be a fully enclosed setup, not just an open top table. I had read over and over that tortoises don't do well if they can see out, and don't understand that the glass is a barrier and may continuously try to push through it, possibly causing injury to their nose/mouth area. That's really my only concern.

Will said:

Will

Only because I've read time and time again that keeping in a glass type terrarium may cause them to constantly try to get out and rub their faces on the glass, not understanding that the glass is there. I just don't want to cause any injuries from rubbing or stress from always trying to walk through the glass.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing?

fishguy

5 Year Member
Manitoba, Canada
I like that idea. Right now I'm using plexiglass strips painted, fixed to the terrarium glass with magnets. It's a non permanent solution. (This is in the current terrarium, not the new construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.