Status
Not open for further replies.

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Green Bay
Hi Again Guys--

I'm begining to feel like a stalker....lol.

I was asked to bring Sid in for "Show & Tell". (I work with people who have brain injuries and mild mental retardation and they would be thrilled to see a tort up close and personal.) Anyway, I was wondering how long Sid can be out of his cage without a heat source. The only time he'd be outside is during the transport, but I dont want him to get too cold. Any suggestions?? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Robin & Sid

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
When I had to take mine to the vet, I used one of those things you put in the microwave to heat up. I wrapped it in a towel and then heated it at the vets again before I left. I know that some people also use handwarmers. They last a pretty long time.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
sid the turtle said:
Hi Again Guys--

I was asked to bring Sid in for "Show & Tell". (I work with people who have brain injuries and mild mental retardation and they would be thrilled to see a tort up close and personal.) Anyway, I was wondering how long Sid can be out of his cage without a heat source. The only time he'd be outside is during the transport, but I dont want him to get too cold. Any suggestions?? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Robin & Sid

Hi Robin,
Sid is approximately a 4 inch Redfoot is this correct?
Where are you located? and what are the temps like?
How long would the transport from home to work be?
When you are at work can you plug in a heat source for him?

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Green Bay
Crazy1 said:
sid the turtle said:
Hi Again Guys--

Robin & Sid

Hi Robin,
Sid is approximately a 4 inch Redfoot is this correct?
Where are you located? and what are the temps like?
How long would the transport from home to work be?
When you are at work can you plug in a heat source for him?

Yes, Sid is just a little guy, about 5" or so. I'm in Green Bay, WI and the temps right now fluctuate alot from the 20's at night to sometimes 40's during the day. I wouldnt have Sid out all day,probably just an hour or so,maybe 2, transport would take about 10-15 minutes.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Warm the car up, fill a pop bottle with warm water, put it and he in insulated carrier, take him to visit his new friends, and God bless you for this. Also how warm do they keep the facility and don't forget hand disinfectant.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Itort said it well and said it all. Just don't let the pop bottle smush him in the carrier.(attempt at humor) :p

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I had to transport a sick yearling Hermann's to the vet when it was 33 degrees and raining this winter. I warmed my car up before the trip, then I put him in a 1 gallon terrarium with a vented lid with two handwarmers in the bottom covered by a washcloth. The trip only took 4 minutes but we were in the vets office for an hour and a half. The handwarmer was still toasty at the end of the visit, so he stayed warm. The handwarmers only cost me 99 cents at Walmart.

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Green Bay
Itort said:
Warm the car up, fill a pop bottle with warm water, put it and he in insulated carrier, take him to visit his new friends, and God bless you for this. Also how warm do they keep the facility and don't forget hand disinfectant.

We normally keep it about 70ish in the building.....and yes, we have LOTS of disinfectant. They are so excited to see him, and are begging me to bring him early (show & tell is April 10th). I just keep showing them pictures and telling them thats all they get to see until the 10th. LOL. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will take pics and post them for all to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.