Sick Tort ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne88

5 Year Member
My tort seems to sleep all the time spread out all fours doesnt move much these days.

No bubbles around his nose, vent not stinky or filthy.

good warmth in his area though it is too cold to take him outside.

hasn't had a bowel movement in a week though.

dont know what to do there are no Herp vets in my area.

any ideas?

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
From various posts here recently regarding Stars it seems like the vast majority of new Star owners are from Asia and their Stars appear to be WC. Almost all of them had protozoa and/or worms and/or RNS and required medical treatment. Have your tort's stool checked by a vet for worms and protozoa and start from there. In the meantime, what is your set-up for your Star?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shayne88:

1015226alncdjdmtn.gif
to the forum!!

More than likely your little star tortoise is infested with protozoa. If you don't get it cleared up, from what I've heard from other members with imported stars, he's going to die. The de-wormer used for this type of infestation is Flagyll, but I don't know the dosage for your little guy.

samstar

5 Year Member
I picked up my female Star about a month ago and she had RNS, got that cured and had her feces tested which had a few worm eggs. Now I'm treating her with Panaure. My point is that both my stars are from Malaysia and wild caught and both came in sick. Even my friend bought 5 stars from Malaysia and all came in sick. Stars from Malaysia=sick stars. Ther are illegal in Malaysia and the shop owners just do this for business and nothing else, they dont give a damn, what a pity.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is the story that I keep hearing over and over and over. It is really sad as stars are not really difficult to keep if you start out with healthy tortoises. You should be conservative with the flagyl and treat at roughly 60 mg / kg of body weight. Flagyl does not taste good so mix it with something soft that they love. I use Mazuri mixed with applesauce, they eat it like candy. I only do this for medicating purposes. Panacure does not taste bad so it is not a problem, however you should not treat with Panacure while egg development is going on. Best wishes Douglas

shayne88

5 Year Member
thank you all so kindly for your replies and this is great information you have all provided but it is too late for my tort he passed last night. I am really disappointed as I have never had any problems with any reptile I have previously kept. unfortunately this being china the availability of good pet health care in rare Just got my dog back from the pet hotel and now he is sick. sometimes i really do look down on the uneducated masses that populate this country.

Thank you so much for the information unfortunately it was too late for my little guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry, Shayne. This is a very hard thing for you, I know. It probably doesn't help much, but just remember that by the time a tortoise, especially a baby, shows outward symptoms, it is already VERY sick.

Starry night

5 Year Member
I have also had VERY bad luck with my stars here in the states. I have two right now which have tri-trichomonas and entomeba and I have treated for two weeks with flagyl and no luck at all. My vet has since ordered some medicine out of Europe which has been used with some good success and we are going to try that. I actually don't expect these animals to survive but I'm trying the best that I can. Some have gone as far as to say they got this from something I did, but I don't have these sort of parasites climbing around my house and I follow all the suggested guideline for raising these tortoises. This is getting bad seeing so many sick tortoise die. I love this species and was hoping to breed them someday but have given up on that dream after countless dollars spent on vet bills and headache medicine.

Gus

5 Year Member
Me too not having any luck with star and so far 4 star have left me due to all this sickness causes by the seller...........

Starry night said:
I have also had VERY bad luck with my stars here in the states. I have two right now which have tri-trichomonas and entomeba and I have treated for two weeks with flagyl and no luck at all. My vet has since ordered some medicine out of Europe which has been used with some good success and we are going to try that. I actually don't expect these animals to survive but I'm trying the best that I can. Some have gone as far as to say they got this from something I did, but I don't have these sort of parasites climbing around my house and I follow all the suggested guideline for raising these tortoises. This is getting bad seeing so many sick tortoise die. I love this species and was hoping to breed them someday but have given up on that dream after countless dollars spent on vet bills and headache medicine.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
samstar said:
I picked up my female Star about a month ago and she had RNS, got that cured and had her feces tested which had a few worm eggs. Now I'm treating her with Panaure. My point is that both my stars are from Malaysia and wild caught and both came in sick. Even my friend bought 5 stars from Malaysia and all came in sick. Stars from Malaysia=sick stars. Ther are illegal in Malaysia and the shop owners just do this for business and nothing else, they dont give a damn, what a pity.

All the WC ones from Malaysia come in sick
I got 3 and all 3 had RNS
1 died, couldn't save it.

The other 2 was under close observation but the vet didn't give it antibiotics as they were still very small.

Anyway, he felt we waited long enough and although they have been active and putting on weight we went ahead with treatment.

They had nebulisation with Baytril and a Vicks steam today and I have to give them Marbocul shots and drip Aminophylline into their nostrils for a week and bring them back again for another nebulisation. Oh yeah, they were given some stress vits too.

Nearly freaked when I was presented the bill -_-"

samstar

5 Year Member
Malaefic said:
samstar said:

All the WC ones from Malaysia come in sick
I got 3 and all 3 had RNS
1 died, couldn't save it.

The other 2 was under close observation but the vet didn't give it antibiotics as they were still very small.

Anyway, he felt we waited long enough and although they have been active and putting on weight we went ahead with treatment.

They had nebulisation with Baytril and a Vicks steam today and I have to give them Marbocul shots and drip Aminophylline into their nostrils for a week and bring them back again for another nebulisation. Oh yeah, they were given some stress vits too.

Nearly freaked when I was presented the bill -_-"

all my Stars and my friends 5 Stars are all from Malaysia and all of them had worms, 1 with RNS. All have been cured with Panacure dewormer and the one with RNS was cured within 3 days with nebulizer(baytrill and saline solution). The pet stores in Malaysia dont give a damn about the torts other than profit. It really pisses me off everytime I think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.