Sick? (weird whistling noise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Thanks everyone for all your help. About a few minutes ago Donatello was making weird whistling blowing sound.s. I took him out of his tank and he sneezed a few times and bubbles and liquid came out of his nose. What is this? His backing area is between 90-101 degrees and the cooler area is about 80 i keep the substrate fairly moist. Does anyone know what this is.?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: HELP!!! Sick?

How is he otherwise? How is he now, does he still have runny nose and eyes?

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Re: HELP!!! Sick?

Sorry yes he does he sin his tank mostbof the time but sometimes i let him walk around livingroom after i vaccum otherwise when its about 85 or 90 degrees outside ill let him walk around our huge yard. Im right next to him the whole time because i cant afford to make an enclosure for outside yet so im not sure but im really worried though.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: HELP!!! Sick?

What are you using to get your temperature readings? Of the 80 and 95?

Analog thermometer?
Stick on aquarium type?
Digital probe thermometer?
Temperature gun?

If sneezing and nose bubbles were coming from my torts the first thing I would do is verify temps and what's being used to measure the temps.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
I have a digital probe thermometer in his tank but every so often i take the stick -on reptile thermometer out of my russian tortoises tank, wash it off, and stick it in there to make sure tnat they get the same temp and they do. Im going to see when i can get him to vet but im not sure how long that will be...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The stick on thermometers are no good.

Digital probes are good though.

All your symptoms sound like a RI. Usually boosting temps will knock it our and no vet is needed.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Sounds like you definitely need to boost your temps. I bet your baby has a respiratory infection. If boosting the temps doesn't clear it up in a couple weeks you might even need a vet visit . Try overall 85* with a hot spot of 120*, worked for me. Also id stop letting him walk the house while he's sick, it might make him too cold.

And don't let it fall below 80-85 at nighg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I find the best, most accurate way to measure temps is a temperature gun. I wouldn't be without one!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Increase your temps 5-10* above what you would normally have them. Do not increase them too high too fast. You will dehydrate him quick. I would also give daily warm soakes. The key here is to keep him warm and hydrated. If he stops eating try giving him babyfood soakes. Or take him to the vet. If you do it right in about a week of warmth and soakes, he should be fine. He also needs to be in his enclosure till he is better...

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Thanks! He seems to be better. His basking area is 95-105 degrees. His "cooler" area is 85-90 night temps are 75-82. I "spray" his shell several times a day, soak him every other day and he also has a small "pond" / water dish in his tank.

tortyluvr,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
75 is too cool at night with humidity. What are you using for night heat?

Letting him walk on the floor is a bad idea. Being too cool is just one reason why.

Have you seen the links in my signature for outdoor enclosures? A Walmart Kiddie pool is about $15. It's not expensive to keep your tortoise safe.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You mentioned that both sides are humid. It could be respitory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.