Sick Russian

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
My heart is very heavy as I type this. My little Hatchback is not doing well at all. I live in the Phoenix area and the family member caring for Hatchback left him out 24/7 while I was out of town during the severe heat warnings we have been having. He has an underground hide and they did hose down his enclosure a couple of times a day. When I got home Thursday afternoon I immediately brought him indoors. I have heard people describing "foaming at the mouth" after being over heated. He was not doing this. I soaked him right away and he pooped. Since then he has been very lethargic. When I pick him up to soak him is the only time I see my "old Hatchback." He wakes up and becomes active. He does not like to be handled and during the 1+ years I have had him, I have only done so to soak and put him outdoors. He has not eaten in 4 days. According to my family member he was eating great prior to Thursday. He has not pooped in any soaks after that first one. His eyes and nose are clear, but he sits with his eyes closed 95% of the time. Right now I am soaking 3 times a day. Coco coir/soil bedding. Basking temp of 102, cool side of 84. Humidity is 68%. Light source is Powersun, not coiled. He has not gone into his hide since I brought him indoors. Any advice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
In extreme heat (Phoenix DEFINITELY qualifies…) wild russians will undergo a summer aestivation. Your little man's brain and body may have decided its too hot to function right now and he's waiting for things to cool down a bit as fall approaches.

Daily soaks and cooler indoor temps and nights might help.

Do you know what the temperature was in the underground hide?

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
I was hoping to hear from you Tom, thanks for taking the time to reply. I had heard about aestivation (thanks to this forum) and was hoping that might be the issue, but as the weekend and Monday passed without him waking up I became more and more concerned. He had such a dry start and up until this past week has been growing at a nice rate and the new growth is smooth. I have a lot of emotion & care invested in this little guy. The top of his hide was flagstone with dirt on top. When I saw that the shade next to the hide was 103 I tore into the hide to get him out ASAP. After I soaked him it was too late to temp, but as I said the shaded area outside of his hide was 103. His hide was in deep shade at all times.