How does new growth look?

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
I have had Hatchback (RT) almost 4 months now. He was started as dry at a little tort can be started. I have been keeping him according to Tom's care sheet and he seems to be thriving. He has doubled his weight in the four months and is now visibly longer in length and width. I believe that the yellow portion of his carapace is new growth. I am I correct? Is he growing smooth now? Up until about a month ago Hatchback was getting way too much outdoor time (too dry in AZ), but I now limit his outdoor time to about an hour at a time at. He gets outside a few days a week. 99% of his time is spent in his indoor enclosure with humidity from 68% to 76 %. I have read (on here) that tortoises can be healthy even with pyramiding, but I want to try and grow him as smooth as possible. Last time I posted a photo of Hatchback a few members pointed out he was "starting" to pyramid. I assumed at the time that it was from his dry start. Just want to confirm that he is growing smoother now.

Also, his night time temps are anywhere from 68 to 73. Is this too cold with humidity, or when members talk about RT being okay with low temps are they talking about adults with low humidity? He has never had a runny nose or anything and for the last few weeks he has been very active and eating like a horse!
2 Hatch.jpg

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Also, can they grow too fast? I have raised several Great Danes and with large breed dogs it is very important to grow them slow. Hatch seems to have put on a lot of his weight in the last month. Maybe just not dehydrated from too much outdoor time? He eats all day long. I fed him at 5 AM and he just came out of his hide and is eating again at 6 PM. This boy has NO intention of hibernating. One less thing for me to worry about. In fact he has been extremely active for the last week or so.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell with just one picture, but to me he has a sort of a 'too fat' look to him. Kind of like his body is growing faster than his shell. But I may be all wet.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
I hate holding him like this. I am sure he felt very insecure, but I wanted to grab another photo. Not the best with him wiggling. I guess this would be a good time to ask about the shedding. Just getting rid of his old dry skin or is this something they do periodically? Is there a better angle I can try to get to show if he is fat? I have never noticed that circle on his cheek. My eyesight isn't what it used to be.

3 hatch.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The new growth looks great.

Your night temps are fine with that humidity level.

People always say that "fast" growth is bad. I have not found that to be the case with other species, but I'm not so sure about russians or other temperate species. The main thing is to feed them the right foods. Too much of grocery store stuff is probably not going to be good. If you are feeding weeds, mulberry leaves, cactus pads and stuff like that, I think free grazing is best.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Tom - Thanks so much for the reply. I thought it looked smooth, but I am new to tortoises (I am sure it is obvious with all of my questions) and I just wanted to check with you members here in case I needed to "tweak" his care. I feel badly that I was leaving him outdoors for such long periods before asking you about that detail.
He is eating almost all weeds with some grape and hibiscus leaves. Rarely do I buy his food. A few of my co-workers are even growing organic weeds for him.