sick redfoot HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

michele

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, NY
I have a redfoot about 1.5yrs old. It is my first tortise and i did a lot of research before I got him. He was a very healthy active guy, good eater untill about two weeks ago. Now its almost like he cant find his food. I bought his favorites today (peaches and meal worms) but had to hand feed him. I never see him soaking in his bowl anymore and he seems to almost waddle when he walks (i dont know how else to describe it ) he has started walking into the sides of the tank and climbing his log (the one i have for his cool spot) i have found him on his side stuck between the log and the cage and on his back several times (im guessing he fell off the log) I dont know what to do please help!!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
What type of light bulb are you using, is it a coil type or normal bulb? Do you know your enclosure temps and humidity? what are you feeding?

Sorry if its too many questions, but it will help to know a little more about your setup.

BTW: welcome to the forum...

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Hi, welcome.

Could you please share what your enclosure is like? what kind of lights are you using? where and how are they placed? what are temperatures in the enclosure? what kind of substrate are you using? if you could post pictures of your enclosure and tortoise from different angles it would help greatly. what else have you been feeding your tortoise? you will get lots of help here.

michele

5 Year Member
Long Island, NY
I have a overhead ceramic heater that keeps the warm side at about 90 and the cooler side about 75 (and i have a log for him to go into if thats too warm) i have a coil type day lamp a shallow dish for water. I use bark for substrate and feed him meal worms once a week and fruits ( he likes peaches and apples) every three days and mixed greens ( i alternate between romaine, spinich or a spring mix) and hes is in a 20 gal long glass tank> i covered the lower half of the tank so he doesnt get stressed trying to get out

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michele:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Have you actually placed a thermometer on the floor of the habitat in different spots and really checked the temps lately? It sounds to me as it the tortoise is too hot.

I don't like to use the coil-type bulbs. They have been known to cause eye injuries in tortoises. If he's acting like he can't see his food, I'm 99% sure its the bulb.

Quit using that coil bulb immediately. Try to find eye ointment:

eyeointment.jpg

You can get it at feed stores or from your vet. Put some on the eye three times a day and the eyes should clear up in a couple days.

michele

5 Year Member
Long Island, NY
i do have a thermometer at the bottom of the cage as well as a humidity gage. I am on the East end of long island and i will definatly get a new bulb tomorrow..i just went and turned it off..i will try anything.....maybe a new thermometer to double check the temp?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would stop using the coil bulb and use the ointment that Yvonne suggest...

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Welcome, I use a temperature gun to check the temperature of my torts
enclosures also us it to check the temp. of the red foots themselfs now and then.
maybe you are using one but I really think mine has helped me.

michele

5 Year Member
Long Island, NY
thank you everyone for the suggestions. If anyone has any other ideas I would be happy to try them! I just want "spot" (my daughter named him:D) to go back to being his happy self! I have turned off the coil bulb and will get a new one tomorrow as well as see if I can find the eye drops and look for a temp gun..thanks again everyone!:tort:

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Welcome and Good Luck with "Spot"

Try to give him very fragrant foods that smell great. My Red Foots love melon, mushrooms, tomato. You could crush the fruit so that it smells more.

Hoping Spot gets better soon.

michele said:
I have a redfoot about 1.5yrs old. It is my first tortise and i did a lot of research before I got him. He was a very healthy active guy, good eater untill about two weeks ago. Now its almost like he cant find his food. I bought his favorites today (peaches and meal worms) but had to hand feed him. I never see him soaking in his bowl anymore and he seems to almost waddle when he walks (i dont know how else to describe it ) he has started walking into the sides of the tank and climbing his log (the one i have for his cool spot) i have found him on his side stuck between the log and the cage and on his back several times (im guessing he fell off the log) I dont know what to do please help!!!

Oh I was intending to mention that soaking Spot in shallow warm water would be good too so you can help him stay hydrated.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you have been using the coil style bulb and he is acting as though his vision is off I would wait about a week to even use another style of uvb so to let his little eyeballs heal up a bit.....he will not be damaged by no uvb for a week to ten days :D but his little peepers sure would benefit....

Also...redfoot tortoise don't have the same need for intense uvb as some other tortoise....may I suggest that since you already have the CHE as a heat source that when you purchase a new uvb that you get a long tube 12 or 14" length and start off with a 5.0 and then in six months when that bulb is replaced you can determine if a 10.0 would be beneficial and if his vision has repaired itself enough....

I have a little redfoot that I adopted...it came to me underweight, not able to eat due to its eyesight....I had to hand feed for awhile and when I noticed her eyesight was coming round a little I started to encourage her to try to eat on her own...she now still can not see as she should but is totally able to eat on her own...and has actually began to eat twice her shell size piles of food now....I believe her little eyeballs were cooked unintentionally .....along with weakness from being bullied which led to all kinds of health issues.....

I would suggest you ease off on her with bright light for like 7-10 days then introduce the low grade long tube uvb......and keep her hydrated and warm.....good luck with recovery :D

Lol...just realized I referenced your tortoise as he as well as she....so sorry :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, others are right. While you are working on a new bulb, and looking into the eye ointment, be sure to soak her once or even twice per day in shallow warm water, to help keep her hydrated (since she can't find her water) and also to help soothe her eyes.
Soaking is really helpful.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
What type of bark is the substrate ? The turtle could have injested some of it while eating and different types of barks are TOXIC to reptiles !!!

michele

5 Year Member
Long Island, NY
thank you very much for everybodys help. unfortunatly Spot died yesterday. I really have no idea what went wrong but I think i am going to avoid getting another one untill I figure out what I did wrong. I have raised lizards, snakes chinchillas, dogs, cats and never had a problem like this and i am very upset about it. I though i did enough investigating but i guess not. anyway, thanks again for the help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear about spot.

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Sorry to hear About spot! A very sad late welcome!:(

Status