Sick little leopard tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

knate

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone first time to the site but i am just in the need of some help!

i have a friend that purchased a tortoise and he is not taking very good care of it! He wanted to give it to me but unfortunately i just don't have the room. so we agreed that i would come over and try to help him out with it because otherwise the poor little girl is going to die. so here it whats happening...

to start with i can clearly see that she is sick. BUT there is no vet here in winnipeg manitoba canada that i know of that we can take her too.

so to start when he got "mabel" we weighted her out at 48grams... after talking to my friend a few days ago and finding out that she hasn't eaten in a few weeks i decided i would put her on the scale. she weights now only 28Grams! so i have been looking online about how to get here to gain her strength back, how to get her some nutrients, and how to get her to start eating... i have been soaking her in half pedialyte half water once a day (as was recommended on another forum) and she seems to drink...
i have timothy haw, dandylions, wandering jew grass... i have also tried romaine and kael... she just won't eat anything... over the past couple if days her eyes have become coated and crusty and shes starting to become to weak to walk around like she used too... she is starting to have trouble even moving at all.

please if anyone has any idea of what i can do please let me know!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
She/he sounds like it needs to see a vet ASAP here is a listing of reptile vets in Canada
http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/canrepvt.htm

Here is a listing of Vets specific to Manitoba and winnipeg manitoba
Brandon Hills Vet Clinic
733 17th St
Brandon, Manitoba
R7A 5A1
204-728-2292

Paul Brazzell
222 Waverley St
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3M 3L2
204-488-4577

Centennial Animal Hospital
2747 Pembina Hwy
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3T 2H5
204-269-8162

Nancy McQuade
Winrose Animal Hospital
534 St Anne's Rd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2M 3G1
204-254-3150

MJ Willard
Willard Vet Hospital
1793 Portage Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3J 0E8
204-889-1000

Hope this helps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to be negative, but the little tortoise is really sick, and it is not going to get better without veterinary intervention.

I hope one of the vets listed in the previous email is near where you are. Good luck with this little tortoise, and I'm sorry we can't help you.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
In the mean time.. keep the little one warm, dont try to force it to eat at this point.. fluids and VET.

delicious

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I took care of a tortoise like that before. It was thin, closed eyes and would hardly move or eat...

I know pellets are not recommended for tortoises but seeing as this tort need energy and drank every time I put her in warm water, I also soaked pellets and they were very mushy so when she drank water she would also get the pellets in. I put her out in the sun too and fed her with a syringe and a little calcium and d3 supplement. Now she's fine and eating her natural diet.

Good luck with her.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
Crazy1 said:
Knate, please keep us posted on the little leo.
hi what are your enclosure temperatures and how is your friend housing it,leopard hatchlings are great eaters but need 3 things, a good background heat their not the best of baskers,( if their enclosure is cold and they need to spend a lot of time basking they will become dehydrated) fresh clean water available 24/7 in a container they can climb in easily for a soak, and a well lit feeding area.also is it warm enough for it to spend some time outside in the sunshine as this can be beneficcial just be careful it doesnt overheat while it is unwell as they arent the sharpest knife in he drawer.also as has been said i wouldnt worry over much about nutrition as it sounds like this little guy is very poorly and i think hydration is of more importance in the early stages.
terry

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It sounds like your friend's tort has a respiratory infection. She needs antibiotics for that. She really needs to see a vet ASAP. She probably has been kept in an environment that is too cool and too damp. If you can't convince your friend to take her to the vet, call a rescue group & take it to them. She will die without medications.
Patsy

jake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Canyon Lake, TX
Good luck with nursing your little leo back to health.

We are still nursing the sick ones we received recently. If you do go to the vet, ask about Critical Care Reptile food supplement. (If he or she wants you to feed with syringe) We've been feeding our sickest tort that stuff. (Ours had pnumonia, so we're in for a lengthy recovery)

Make sure you keep her very warm.

Good luck! And please keep us posted.

~ Autumn

Status
Not open for further replies.