Sick hatchlings and feeding tubes

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
You have a very stressed little tort there. Sick, new home, new routine... it's all scary. When stressed they will stop eating and torts can take weeks to take to new surroundings at the best of times.

I suggest you get into a pretty rigid routine with this little guy so he learns what to expect and when. No nasty surprises!

Start the day with the lights coming on with a timer. Soak (with baby food if you are doing that) for a good 20 minutes before he's warmed up properly. Pop back in the enclosure with some normal food and walk away. Don't stand watching or attempt hand feeding as you ate big, new and intimidating at the moment.

Leave your tort to feel unwatched, and maybe a little curious, alone until you next need to soak.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I can be patient with him, but what would you suggest might be a reasonable time before some improvement might be seen? How long can a tort go without eating outside of hibernation?

Well...I have an adult CDT here that did not eat for at least 2 months as a result of solid sand impaction when I began caring for him from his prior home....I also have a redfoot I rescued from another forum member...it was housed with a second tort who relentlessly had bullied the tort to the point of poor health..no eating...not able to see well enough to eat...it took anout 6 to 8 weeks before was able to eat...now that ort takes twice as long still to eat compared to the others but can easily pack in twice as much as the others...the torts eyesight is still poor and likely always will be...but the health improvement has given a wonderful tenacious outlook and she will get rough and ram about until she gets her mountain size pile of goods....you might also try organic...the CDTs here won't indulge in supplemental greens if they are not organic...