Sick Baby Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rattlesnake082

5 Year Member
I got paid today so i went to the pet store to get some mice and rats for my snakes like normal, then i asked the lady if she had any tortoise for sale and i look at them they had savannah monitors and baby sulcata tortoises i bought a savannah monitor and a tortoise to save them they are very unhealthy and i could not see them stay there in that poor care so i bought them and then came home got yelled at for buying more reptiles.

The tortoise is in a 28q rubbermaid bin 6'' tall has 5.0 uvb bulb 6'' away,heat pad under the log hide tube is off of ground 1" for ventii-lay-shin (spelled wrong),75 watt bulb,and has 50% soil 50% sand moist and i have a water bowl in there not deep at all easy in and out. he cant really open his eyes so i gave him a nice warm bath and eyes opened but no move ment and wont eat anything but what could i do to help him.

Treebon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Well I am no expert in Sulcatas, but if you check the enclosure section you can find plenty of tips on what to build for it. Also you should make sure that you have a space outside for it to play around in since that is pretty important for all tortoises. Also not sure if this holds true for Sulcatas, but after you soak them you should probably make sure that he is very dry since I know my Russians can get chills. You also should make sure that you have UVA/UVB light for the inside enclosure too. You also should probably use less sand next time as well. I know more about Russians than anything else though so hopefully someone with more Sulcata knowledge could help.

Rattlesnake082

5 Year Member
Ok thanks for your help but he dosnt want to walk or do any thing i think he going to have to go to the vet. But i put him under his 75 watt bulb after a bath to warm him up.his eyes are open now better than when i got him 6 hours ago and he hasnt moved at all in the cage very weak baby tortoise here paid 65 dollars for him since he was sick at the store but i dont care.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Is it 98 in the basking spot, or overall? It sounds like you need to get him to a vet asap. If you are anywhere near So Cal, let me know and I can help you.

Rattlesnake082

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
Is it 98 in the basking spot, or overall? It sounds like you need to get him to a vet asap. If you are anywhere near So Cal, let me know and I can help you.

98 is basking spot with my temp gun and i live in north florida if you know any one near me?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It sounds like you're doing all you can for him right now. Just keep him extra warm, soak him at least once a day, and get him to a vet. If you have Terramycin - you can try that on his eyes. I'm not much of an expert of sulcatas, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can jump in and help you soon.

Rattlesnake082

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
It sounds like you're doing all you can for him right now. Just keep him extra warm, soak him at least once a day, and get him to a vet. If you have Terramycin - you can try that on his eyes. I'm not much of an expert of sulcatas, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can jump in and help you soon.

ok thanks so much for your help and im soaking him in carrot baby food mixed with 50% water and ill dry him off after and put him back in the heat light should i leave it on all night and day for no?

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
What are you offering him to eat? The spring mix salads you can buy at the store are great to offer the baby's, and Mazuri tortoise food soaked in hot water till they puff up. Bless you for trying to save him. Make sure you don't use any coil bulbs they hurt there eyes. Can you post some pictures of him and his house. Hope he comes around.

Rattlesnake082

5 Year Member
ok ill leave the uvb and heat light on 24/7 and im going to take some pics when i can and try to get them in the morning

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
They should have it dark at night, you need a black light or a CHE for heat at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.