Should you give a tortoise spring water?

Donatello

Hello i am just reading up on russian tortoises and it says you should NOT give them tap water, only spring water?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This depends on where you live. The tap water in some areas is certainly less than perfect. In most of the US, it is perfectly fine. I have been giving tap water to russians since 1986, and have not seen any problems from it yet. All of my tortoises get tap water, and I drink it, bathe in it and brush my teeth with it too. If its safe for people, I feel its safe for tortoises too.

Be careful taking any other advice from that website. It probably says glass tanks are bad too, right? They aren't. They are actually good for the exact reasons they claim they are bad.

Donatello

I live in pennsylvania. So i would think it would be o.k? Thank you.

I read on lots of websites glass tanks arent good. But i am having a wooden one built for him so he has a big enclosure. I havent even purchased the tortoise yet but my place of work has him on hold for me. Just until i have everything ready. He is in my profile picture. Just fell in love with him soon as i saw him. Found a vet too so he can have a check up incase of worms and stuff too. I read if they are caught in the wild their is a good chance he could have them. I give him baths when i am done with all my work pet grooming. And i always check his poop and have not seen anything. But still gonna have him checked out.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
many people use filtered water for their pets, it definitely won't hurt. but your tort will be perfectly happy with tap water. and glass tanks are good for small tortoises because of the available sizes...i suppose if they made 4x6 aquariums they'd be good for larger torts.......i can't tell from your picture if you have a baby or adult.

Donatello

Hes just a baby and hes in a glass aquarium at my place of work right now. I asked how old he was and all they said was when he came in it said juvenile. When i take him to the vet i am hoping they can give me a exact age. Here is a pic of him 4 days ago sleeping

1390782027128.jpg

Attachments

• 1390781917710.jpg
    1390781917710.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Looks like your new tortoise is a wild caught sub adult to me. Is he 4" or 5" in length? If so, he could be 5, 10 or 40.
Don't worry about age though.

Because you don't have a baby, an open tortoise table is ok.
Definitely plan for a large outdoor enclosure, too. The more time he can spend outside, the better!

Congrats :)

Donatello

Heres another picture of him. You can see he had a crack by his back leg on his shell. But it is healed. Its how he came in the store.

Not sure how long he is. Ill have to see when i go into work tomorrow.

I dont think he will have a outdoor enclosure. The weather here in Pennsylvania can get pretty cold. But i have a 3 year old daughter who is very excited for me to bring him home and we will definently take him outside in the summer for lots of sun.:D

Heres one last pic i have. May help to show more of how big he is. Its from january 5th. Personally that water dish i dont like but my manager told me he was fine and saw him go in and out plenty of times :dodgy:

Attachments

• 1390782841341.jpg
    1390782841341.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 1390785075354.jpg
    1390785075354.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 49

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
He is cute. I am sure your little girl will love feeding dandelions this summer.

Donatello

Can you buy dandelion seeds? Maybe i could just grow them? So he has them in the winter too :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a good idea to have an indoor AND an outdoor enclosure. That way he can be outside on nice days, and you can bring him in for cold days, nights and winter if you like. He should not be outside wandering around without being in an enclosure. You will eventually lose him that way.

Donatello

I planned on using a plastic baby pool my daughter used to swim in to put him. If i cant watch him while he is walking around.

We get lots and lots of snow and cold here. A few weeks ago it was in the negatives. I have no idea what i could use for a outdoor permanent enclosure for warm days. Wouldnt i have to replace it every year cause the cold weather would ruin it? Thats why i thot just taking him outside putting him in a baby pool as i watch my daughter play outside on warm days would be fine.

Any ideas for outdoor enclosure ? Maybe one that is easy to take down and put back together so it doesnt get ruined? Any information is greatly appreciated :D

I know big is always better for a enclosure. So if i had a out door enclosure for him built it would have to be very cold weather proof or easy to move. I thought of wood, but wouldnt wood eventually get ruined if it got wet, and any kind of sprays/stains used wouldnt they be harmful to the tortoise? My friend is making him a huge indoor enclosure for me. He may be able to build me outdoor one too.

Donatello

Read lots of people just use a baby pool for a outdoor enclosure hahaha. Just didnt think it would be big enough, but i guess its a decent size. Still trying to think of what i could use for a lid. Asked on a enclosure topic. Anyway figuered i would put him out their soon as the sun came up and bring him back in the house at night. Just so i can sleep and know hes o.k.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Have you searchers the forum? Search baby pool and you just might dig up an idea that works. Or search cheap outdoor enclosures.