Water for tortoise???

countrytortoise

Hello,
Do russian tortoises (or any tortoise) have specific requirements for their water ( bottled, distilled, is tap water ok) etc?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I live in the country and my property is on a pressure system/well. I just fill the tortoises' waterers from the hose.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hahaha, yes, I do too, I could drink OUT of the hose if I wanted... Distilled is not okay, all the nutrients have been removed. A lot of bottled water companies are horrible! I did a test one time with that little water tester stick that shows chemicals in the water, and bottled water was the worst... litereally, the river outside was safer to drink than some bottled water! :eek:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hahaha, yes, I do too, I could drink OUT of the hose if I wanted... Distilled is not okay, all the nutrients have been removed. A lot of bottled water companies are horrible! I did a test one time with that little water tester stick that shows chemicals in the water, and bottled water was the worst... litereally, the river outside was safer to drink than some bottled water! :eek:
Those nutrients don't really count, they aren't enough :) so distilled water is OK...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Distiller water is not okay. All the minerals are removed from it, and those minerals do matter. The distillation process also reportedly leaves behind heavy metals sometimes. Not good. Distilled water should not be used for drinking for any animal.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Distiller water is not okay. All the minerals are removed from it, and those minerals do matter. The distillation process also reportedly leaves behind heavy metals sometimes. Not good. Distilled water should not be used for drinking for any animal.
Hmm, I thought that just like calcium drops in water, they don't make a big difference? But this is really helpful... I think my tortoise will be getting bottled water from now on :p I know I can give tap, but I think bottled is better. :) Thanks Tom!