Is it okay to give tap water to a Russian Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
If it's safe for you to drink then it's safe for your tortoise to drink. I don't have a russian but all my tortoises get tap water...

ben and vivi

5 Year Member
do you live in a hard or soft water area, natural soft water is fine, water passed through a water softener isn't due to its very high potassium content due to the salt filtration process. Hard water is very high in calciums and natural minerals and thus attention has to be paid to this to prevent a calcium imbalance, but this is only in EXTREME areas of hard water, natural hard water is fine. stored water (i.e tank water) isn't meant for human consumption due to its long periods of in activity and potential bacterial growth, special measures can be taken to make tank water safe for consumption, special ball valves promoting large usage of water before refilling can be added and fitting tanks with a bylaw 30 kit can greatly improve water condition.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ben and vivi said:
do you live in a hard or soft water area, natural soft water is fine, water passed through a water softener isn't due to its very high potassium content due to the salt filtration process. Hard water is very high in calciums and natural minerals and thus attention has to be paid to this to prevent a calcium imbalance, but this is only in EXTREME areas of hard water, natural hard water is fine. stored water (i.e tank water) isn't meant for human consumption due to its long periods of in activity and potential bacterial growth, special measures can be taken to make tank water safe for consumption, special ball valves promoting large usage of water before refilling can be added and fitting tanks with a bylaw 30 kit can greatly improve water condition.

Hi ben and vivi:

Won't you take a few moments to make a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Well I hope so! I do mine... the water is very good where I am.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. My tap water is fine here. I think its fine in most of the country.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I use filtered water in the water dishes. I'm sure tap water is fine, but I don't drink straight from the tap so I don't expect them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.