baby concerns

Hurcules_sulcata

I've run into a few issues that I don't know if they are normalities or not.
1) Hercules won't eat vegetables he only only eats the soft tortoise pellets we got.
2) he fights his baths he always tries to climb out of the tub we got for him. The water is warm and we change it out twice so it doesn't get to cold. To compensate for this he gets a 10 to 15 minute soak in the morning and a 10 to 15 minute soak at night.
Any suggestions?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've run into a few issues that I don't know if they are normalities or not.
1) Hercules won't eat vegetables he only only eats the soft tortoise pellets we got.
2) he fights his baths he always tries to climb out of the tub we got for him. The water is warm and we change it out twice so it doesn't get to cold. To compensate for this he gets a 10 to 15 minute soak in the morning and a 10 to 15 minute soak at night.
Any suggestions?

1. I don't feed mine any vegetables.
Here is a list of food they can eat. Weeds are favorites. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

2. Most tortoises will try to climb out when being soaked. The point of soaking is to rehydrate them and help them move their bowels. So your doing just fine. I would continue doing what your doing.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, as far as your question on soaking, have you taken the temperature of the soaking water? I measure water temps every time before and during soakings - and have found our sully enjoys temps between 97-102F. Anything higher or lower and he climbs /squirms. Between these temps, he just sits and soaks, in fact, I leave our tap on a slow drip and he sits right under the dripping shower. So, measure your temps and tweak things a bit until you find the best temperature range for your sully.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. What vegetables are you offering?
2. What is the depth and temperature of your soaking water? Is the tub opaque and tall sided?

Hurcules_sulcata

So to answer all of the questions.
We get the water to as hot as the dorms will allow which isn't that hot I wash my hands with that hot of water and it doesn't really phase me.
we gave him some different options in his diet so now he has kale cucumbers carrots Roman lettuce and dark spinach on his plate. We tried to incorporate his soft pellets into the vegetables and that's all he would just eat around the vegetables to get to the the pellets.
The depth of the water goes up to the base of his neck. The walls are tall enough to where he can't climb out so he sort of soaks. The substrate is just aspen flakes and Timothy hay. We're changing it to orchid bark Monday when the pet store opens.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
So to answer all of the questions.
We get the water to as hot as the dorms will allow which isn't that hot I wash my hands with that hot of water and it doesn't really phase me.
we gave him some different options in his diet so now he has kale cucumbers carrots Roman lettuce and dark spinach on his plate. We tried to incorporate his soft pellets into the vegetables and that's all he would just eat around the vegetables to get to the the pellets.
The depth of the water goes up to the base of his neck. The walls are tall enough to where he can't climb out so he sort of soaks. The substrate is just aspen flakes and Timothy hay. We're changing it to orchid bark Monday when the pet store opens.
make sure to keep the substate moist. cucumber should be fed as a treat. have you read toms care sheet?

Hurcules_sulcata

Yeah I have it was his first time with cucumbers and I was desperate because he was running on his second day with no food

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas

get a thermometer. I suspect you're cooking him. Water temps feel comfy to me that are way to high to soak a tort in.