Should we make a care book?

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
Nothing in this world ever gets accomplished if risks weren't taken, and I'm certainly not opposing an effort towards this direction. However I echo Yvonne's sentiment above about keeping updated.

In my opinion we know so little about tortoises and this knowledge grows and grows each day. Think about five years ago where the high humidity concept wasn't yet established or adopted. Imagine what we will know five years from now. I expect to look back to today's date and say "really?, I used to do that?"

Point here is: the perceived idea of what is proper care today will likely evolve. Tortoise care is not unique in this sense, just more exaggerated than say K9 care. If a good solution can be found for this, I think this is a slam dunk idea.

As a child, I would head straight to the library and read/checkout books left and right about my different exotic pets. I asked my child to do the same when she got her reptile. I even asked for a book report with properly documented sources and references. Yes, I'm that parent.

Twist

Seminole, Florida
Their isn't a book or an article that I know of that goes over how to take care of each common pet tortoise species. I think that as a forum we can combine our knowledge and make a book on what tortoises are best for certain locations. Best indoor or outdoor tortoises for your area etc. As well as providing in debt material on what in necessary for a species and the best way to buy or obtain the pet. Who thinks we should do this as a forum.

In the beginning of this Tortoise addition LOL I found a lot of crap information. My Sulcata got the short end o f the knowledge stick. That is until I went of Face Book and chatted with the different folks that care for and raise these guy. You of coarse would have to do several book as the different Torts need such different habitats. You guys write them And I for one will but a set.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Ok so are we going to do this or just continue to talk about it

To be honest I think talk is very important. Rushing into any endeavor without proper research and preparation is asking for disaster. Just my 2 cents! I can understand an urge to jump into something with both feet, but I can also understand being nervous to go all in without any concrete plan, direction or expertise (industry and subject experts) on board.

If it did come to pass(with some people with industry knowledge and species and care experts on board), I am not a tortoise expert but I am willing to write the knowledge others provide into a cohesive article on various species? I've been published a few times, but it has been articles, and not animal care related.

William Rogers

Morganton,north carolina
I recently produced a coloring book, a self published ordeal,and it cost me about 1500 hundred ,and that does not include advertising packages or extras.What I have found is that unless the author is well know,connected to a publishing company ,then you will most likely pay for a service ,and self publishing costs are sky rocketing,as most books are now printed in China.Just thought I would throw in a new look from someone who has been there.It gets pricey,very quick.

Destben

Kansas
Their isn't a book or an article that I know of that goes over how to take care of each common pet tortoise species. I think that as a forum we can combine our knowledge and make a book on what tortoises are best for certain locations. Best indoor or outdoor tortoises for your area etc. As well as providing in debt material on what in necessary for a species and the best way to buy or obtain the pet. Who thinks we should do this as a forum.

That’s an awesome idea! We should also try and petition pet stores to update their care information and how they keep their tortoises!

Destben

Kansas
The trouble with a regular book is that when the info therein becomes outdated the book stays the same. And the book holder may not realize he's reading outdated material. An E book might be a better idea, however, once that book is downloaded into your device, it becomes like the printed page. ONce it's updated, the original Ebook holder may not realize he's holding onto an outdated copy in his device.

Anything that's written up for tortoises needs to be monitored and updated as new ways of taking care of the animals becomes available. ANd you just hope for the best that people who have printed out your original info continue to update their copies.

Maybe more of an App then so it can be updated by the developer when information changes?

Destben

Kansas
Maybe more of an App then so it can be updated by the developer when information changes?

It could have growth charts as well to help keep records for health. It would also make research for care easier if we could harness the information given by users to track health and maybe even food trends that effect each species of tortoise. It should also have a vitamin reminder for those who can’t remember when their tort had there’s last

Laura A

Las Vegas NV
I have published a book. Not self published but through a small press, also several articles and short stories. I agree it is a large undertaking. I am willing to help edit, I am a former Lic. Vet Tech with limited experience with Desert Tortoise and I own a young Sulcata. I can help research but am Not a expert.

Destben

Kansas
Ok @Destbean I'm with you on this one. An app would be better and more affordable

It would be cool to use the information provided by the users to help prove our case and maybe get pet stores to be more knowledgeable so that torts are cared for properly and the wrong information won’t be given out. I know that’s a little ambitious but I would like to see it happen

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I thought this whole forum was a many chapter how to care book compiled by experienced amateurs and professionals.
I know I'm new but I've been lurking around for a while now and figured I'd chime in. I agree with what Redfoot said above - the forum has all the content, it's just a matter of organizing it it a way to make it accessible to newcomers.

I like the app idea, but it also occurred to me that a specialized wiki for tortoise care could be a good way to present the info also. I've seen the mediawiki platform used for other projects and it works out pretty well in my opinion. It would allow got curation of the best content and would be easy to keep updated. I believe it has a "export the entire wiki as a PDF book" option also.

Just a thought. I can confirm that the information found here has been incredibly helpful for a new tortoise keeper [emoji3] I can't thank you guys enough for all the great info.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
I’ve officially started the tortoiseplanet website. I’m going to make this simple but in-depth. I’m going to put together care information for every specie. I have an Instagram account with almost 10,000 followers (@tortoiseplanet) and I get emails all the time asking simple questions such as “if I need a UVB lamp if my humidity is high”. I know that makes no sense since humidity has nothing to do with UVB. I bet there’s also many people who are shy to email or for example don’t think that they need a UVB bulb so they don’t bother to email and ask. Even the guy who emailed me said his Pet dealer told him that. Sad. This website will help many many people keep their tortoises in proper conditions and educate the keeper. If you want to be apart of this please reply to some of my threads or email me at [email protected].

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@tortoiseplanet Just curious if you had a particular platform / technology picked out to use for this? I'm still new to tortoises but I might be able to assist with some of the technical aspects if any help is needed there

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
All hard copy books become outdated over time. We are all still learning and as the learning curve is mastered the books are still out there with past information. E books can be overridden with new updated versions, And it's the modern way of reading.