Should we make a care book?

Robert Hutchens

Location (City and/or State)
California
Their isn't a book or an article that I know of that goes over how to take care of each common pet tortoise species. I think that as a forum we can combine our knowledge and make a book on what tortoises are best for certain locations. Best indoor or outdoor tortoises for your area etc. As well as providing in debt material on what in necessary for a species and the best way to buy or obtain the pet. Who thinks we should do this as a forum.

lixxy990

Their isn't a book or an article that I know of that goes over how to take care of each common pet tortoise species. I think that as a forum we can combine our knowledge and make a book on what tortoises are best for certain locations. Best indoor or outdoor tortoises for your area etc. As well as providing in debt material on what in necessary for a species and the best way to buy or obtain the pet. Who thinks we should do this as a forum.

What a brilliant idea! Sounds splendid to me!!!!

Alaskamike

South Florida
I have done a fair amount of writing. Free lance , magazine , & Indy books. Here are just some of the issues
- I agree there is extensive knowledge to be gained from multiple people here.
- I also agree one is needed.
However ,
- a writing project needs a “boss’. An editor, controller, head honcho. This person must be able to write and write well. Who would that be?
- someone ( presumably the editor) would have to decide what goes in, what does not , & what goes in but with a substantial re-write. Egos anyone ?
- Indy publishing still takes time & money. Who pays , how would it be marketed , if any profit at all are made ( & most do not make $) who profits?
- putting together a book is extremely time consuming. Editing & getting one on the market well, even more.

Not trying to be a “ Debby Downer” here. Just a realist.

Anything could be done. Of course. But being realistic is the first step. Facing each challenge & finding solutions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You must be old like me… (I'm not really that old, so don't be insulted…)

I grew up reading books, but I don't think people read them much anymore. Anyone I know goes to the internet for animal care info.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England

I grew up reading books, but I don't think people read them much anymore. Anyone I know goes to the internet for animal care info.
His profile says he is 23. :p

theguy67

10 Year Member!
What if its published as an E-Book? Would cut down on some costs.

And I suggest it be very detailed. Give specific care requirements, and dive in to why. Throughout the book you could contrast it with their native habitat, approaching it from an ecological perspective rather than "do this because I said so".

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Make a website for Tortoise care. I’m thinking of making my own website for my Instagram and doing that since I get so many DM’s and emails for Tortoise care on Instagram and they are such simple questions and issues. Maybe it will help some people that are shy to email us so instead they will read through the website and correct themselves on an issue that they would of never thought was one or emailed about, such as the many people who didn’t think tortoises need a heat lamp or UVB lamp. Some people also email me regarding health issues and self treatments since they don’t have a local vet. If you want to join in with this DM or email us.
Instagram: @tortoiseplanet
Email: [email protected]

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Wouldn't recommend their caresheets. The one for leopards is bad! I'm
Sure most of them are bad!
Outdated for sure.

I don't believe they maintain the site anymore - but something similar online (perhaps within the Tortoise Forum), which is searchable, would be ideal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The trouble with a regular book is that when the info therein becomes outdated the book stays the same. And the book holder may not realize he's reading outdated material. An E book might be a better idea, however, once that book is downloaded into your device, it becomes like the printed page. ONce it's updated, the original Ebook holder may not realize he's holding onto an outdated copy in his device.

Anything that's written up for tortoises needs to be monitored and updated as new ways of taking care of the animals becomes available. ANd you just hope for the best that people who have printed out your original info continue to update their copies.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada

I work in a library. I assure you people still get books for animal care!
Also having an ebook version is very appealing to many.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
The trouble with a regular book is that when the info therein becomes outdated the book stays the same. And the book holder may not realize he's reading outdated material. An E book might be a better idea, however, once that book is downloaded into your device, it becomes like the printed page. ONce it's updated, the original Ebook holder may not realize he's holding onto an outdated copy in his device.

Anything that's written up for tortoises needs to be monitored and updated as new ways of taking care of the animals becomes available. ANd you just hope for the best that people who have printed out your original info continue to update their copies.

I think the published year on the cover is important.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Interesting ideas.
I’m getting a bit “ long in the tooth “ :) myself I suppose , still love to hold a book in my hand, smell the ink & turn the pages. But e-books have great value ( they are about 20-30% of world wide distribution / publishing)

But yes, a book like this would have to be done in e-book , & marketed that way, as well as a print version available. Print can be on demand which keeps costs way down. That is true of a large percentage of writing. Some are e-book only & do just fine that way. The advantage to e-books is editing / changes can be made easily , sell cheap , & distribution is a click away. Amazon publishing has several good programs.

But that doesn’t change all the other issues in getting a quality book done. And while at first thought , the process seems simple it is not if done well.

@tortoiseplanet suggested to make a website. @Yvonne G Talked about it being dynamic, changing
And detailed is good as @theguy67 mentioned.

The thing is , we kinda have all that with the Tortoise Forum. The stickies are there. And updates are constant. Great detail. It is dynamic with the added bonus of being able to interact with the authors & ask clarifying questions. And it’s cheap ( free ) for all.

An e-book could be put together almost entirely from information in the stickies. And while editing & re-writes would make them easier to read & ad clarification , that’s a ton of work for info already readily available. And no egos are involved left the way they are.

I do see advantages to a more refined consolidation of information. Better writing , clarification and consolidation has value. But books, e-book or print , or both - are not written or put together by committee, though it takes an author/ editor / marketer at least (usually are not all one person but they can be in rare cases)

It would be a labor of love for our shelled friends. But in my experience much more work for an author than most folks realize.

If I did something like that I suspect it would take about a year, involve a professional editor, cover artist, hurt some people’s feelings when their input was not used, upset folks when their sections/ writing was re-written, and need to be about 95% sold as an e-book with on demand printing available for folks like me that wanna smell the paper. It would cost about $2-3k to do it well. Not much but not nothing either. And unlikely to do much more than recoup that investment. The authors time is , well...

Like I said , a labor of love.

Eliza Premo

Roseville ca

YES!!! This is a fantastic idea!!