Should I or shouldn't I

Status
Not open for further replies.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest
I am new to the forums when I logged in I noticed it had over 2 years since I last logged in...

Anyways my question for you guys is should I get a Pancake or a Redfoot? In about 3 weeks I will be picking up some Halmahera skinks and the gentleman that I am getting them from has wild caught Pancakes and captive born Redfoots for sale. Which should I get and why?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I would check out those Pancakes! They look really cool. I believe that one of the forum members just bough a hatchling. ~C

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Get the redfoots for ethical reasons. I would never recommend supporting people who make money off taking animals out of the wild and depleting the wild populations. If you want a pancake get one from a reputable breeder. They will be healthier and happier.
On a side note, Pancakes hide a lot. Sometimes mine hide for days. If you want an animal who is social and interactive, a pancake will bore you. I dont know much about redfoots.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
johanna said:
Get the redfoots for ethical reasons. I would never recommend supporting people who make money off taking animals out of the wild and depleting the wild populations. If you want a pancake get one from a reputable breeder. They will be healthier and happier.
On a side note, Pancakes hide a lot. Sometimes mine hide for days. If you want an animal who is social and interactive, a pancake will bore you. I dont know much about redfoots.

The person I would be getting them from is a reputale breeder in the reptile world. Also he is the only person I would ever by anything that is wild caught because he takes time with the animals to make sure they are good before selling them.

Also how do you think any reptiles ended up in the pet market because someone had to catch them in the wild and then breed them.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would go with a baby redfoot. It will be easier to house one inside than an adult pancake is. Also you will want to set up an outdoor enclosure and take your tortoise out there when the weather is good for him/her. Redfoots are much better suited for life outside in Oregon than pancakes are.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I think Redfoots have much better personalities than Pancakes. They are also easier to care for. Good luck! :)

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
johanna said:
Obviously everything came from the wild originally, but captive bred animals are available, so why wouldn't someone purchase captive bred? I said that I would not recommend purchasing wild caught, but I did not tell anyone they cannot do it, just that I would not. No need to lecture or get defensive over my personal opinion.

I can get the Pancake for half of what I have seen them going for lately.

mrlax

5 Year Member
San Francisco, CA
I love our little pancake hatchling, it's 6 weeks old and doing great. However, this said, I think there are a lot more health considerations/intangibles/unknowns with wild-caught reptiles which need to be considered and are difficult to assess. This is not a comment/criticism about your contact, just a very general thing to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.