1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Shipping

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by InvertaHerp, Jan 8, 2014.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. InvertaHerp

InvertaHerp New Member 5 Year Member

How many heat packs should I use to ship my redfoot? I've timed it so temps should be around 40. I have a styrofoam box.
  2. diamondbp

diamondbp Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    How large is the tortoise?

For a hatchling one may be enough depending on how close it is to the hatchling.
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    I don't ship. However, when getting my tort and other reptiles shipped too me, I took into account the temps on both ends and if there were any bad weather inbetween.
  4. InvertaHerp

5 inch yearling
  5. bettinge

bettinge Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Upstate NY
    If its going to be much below 40, don't ship. DO NOT use two heat packs! I made that mistake last year. It was a well insulated box, about 45 out, one four inch hermann. I used two heat packs and the tort arrived well cooked. What a horrible end I put that tort thru.
  6. InvertaHerp

Oh no! Okay I will do 1 40 hour
  7. Robyn@TRR

[email protected] Active Member 5 Year Member

For a box 15x11x7 and under, you should only ever use one heat pack. Additional heat packs in a small or medium box are more likely to overheat your box, as has been mentioned. Too much heat is more dangerous than too much cold.

A better winter shipping approach is to increase the insulation value of your box. We would typically double up insulation panels for cold winter shipping. Another option is to use the thicker insulated "ice chest" style box, where the insulation is one piece, plus a lid.

I have seen folks line the standard foam insulation with another layer of flexible fiberglass or foil insulation. I can't speak to the effectiveness of that first hand, but it also seems viable.

Heat pack wise, consider using a larger/longer heat pack, like the 72 hour heat pack. It doesn't get any hotter, just offers longer duration, which is a good thing in winter shipping.

You don't want to make your box hot, no more than you want to make it cold during the summer. You want it to be temperate. Feel free to contact us with any specific questions, we are always happy to help!

[email protected]
  8. diamondbp

diamondbp Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

^^^GREAT INPUT^^^