How to pack a tortoise?

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello everyone! We are shipping our Russian Tortoise in 2 weeks (He's 4 inches long and 3.5 inches wide). We bought shipping supplies from Reptiles2You, but need some help on packing. I did some research and found out that it is supposed to be snug, not airtight, we need to soak him before and not feed him for 48 hrs, etc. But, I also realize that Tortoise Forum is the best place to get answers for tortoises. So, can someone help me to pack out tortoise please? The shipping supplies kit included:
  • One 12x9x6 insulated shipping box (FedEx approved to ship your reptiles)
  • One 6.75" dia 32oz clear punched deli cup with lid
  • TWO 12x16 premium natural cotton reptile bags
  • One 40 hr heat pack or three Thermafreeze Cold Cells (choose from drop-down box above)
  • One FedEx label pouch - if no label pouch is needed please select NO from the dropdown box.
I copied this from the website description. If anyone needs the link for the shipping supplies here it is: https://www.reptiles2you.com/Reptile-Shipping-Kit-2-12x9x6-P60.aspx

Edit: I found instructions for shipping reptiles, but I think they don't cover everything. Also, instead of the cold cells we are using Cryopack Phase 22 Cold Packs.

Last edited:

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Hello everyone! We are shipping our Russian Tortoise in 2 weeks (He's 4 inches long and 3.5 inches wide). We bought shipping supplies from Reptiles2You, but need some help on packing. I did some research and found out that it is supposed to be snug, not airtight, we need to soak him before and not feed him for 48 hrs, etc. But, I also realize that Tortoise Forum is the best place to get answers for tortoises. So, can someone help me to pack out tortoise please? The shipping supplies kit included:
  • One 12x9x6 insulated shipping box (FedEx approved to ship your reptiles)
  • One 6.75" dia 32oz clear punched deli cup with lid
  • TWO 12x16 premium natural cotton reptile bags
  • One 40 hr heat pack or three Thermafreeze Cold Cells (choose from drop-down box above)
  • One FedEx label pouch - if no label pouch is needed please select NO from the dropdown box.
I copied this from the website description. If anyone needs the link for the shipping supplies here it is: https://www.reptiles2you.com/Reptile-Shipping-Kit-2-12x9x6-P60.aspx

Edit: I found instructions for shipping reptiles, but I think they don't cover everything. Also, instead of the cold cells we are using Cryopack Phase 22 Cold Packs.
Also, what is better; a deli cup or a bag for my tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always packed them in a tube sock and knot the end.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have shipped with shipyourreptiles.com a couple of times, and I followed the directions exactly...they are good, follow the instructions

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I would suggest bag is nicer thsn a deli cup. Hope it all goes well. As well as fresh green food, ensure you hydrate in warm shallow water in a high sided container every day for 30 mins. Then you know your tort is hydrated but as suggested read the guidance.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Alright. A bag came with the supplies; my tort won't suffocate in the bag, right? Also, do I need to tie the bag loosely or tightly?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I assume bag is cotton and breathable
? I would add a base of shredded paper under the bag as they like to move/ wriggle and get comfy. As mentioned prior to shipping soak it and feed to avoid dehydration. I have never shipped so experts may advise additional points.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have just googled and found this
There are also utube video that may provide you more inspiration and confidence.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I always ship tortoises 3" or more in size in socks or bags, not deli cups. I make them fit snugly to minimize movement. Pack around the bag with loose paper fill or something to restrict movement yet not to restrict air transfer. You should be sure to make holes in the sides of the shipping box. I use a 3/8" drill and make 2 holes on each side of the box, through cardboard and styrofoam.

Ship hub to hub. Only ship Tuesday or Wednesday. Monday is too busy for shippers and Thursday put you at risk of an overweekend ordeal if something at all happens to delay.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Great advise and info hope that helps you ship?

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
I assume bag is cotton and breathable
? I would add a base of shredded paper under the bag as they like to move/ wriggle and get comfy. As mentioned prior to shipping soak it and feed to avoid dehydration. I have never shipped so experts may advise additional points.
Yeah, it is. We tried test packing him today and he was moving around a lot.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Great advise and info hope that helps you ship?
Yeah, it is.Thank you! We tried test packing him today, anything we need to change?(We are planning to drill holes later.) Also, should the packing in the bag be be try snug so he doesn’t flip himself over or something?

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpeg
    IMG_1825.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1824.jpeg
    IMG_1824.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3