shell torn off

おまつ

Location (City and/or State)
東京
English is not my native language, so I'm sorry if it's hard to understand.
I am in Japan.

The shell of the Greek tortoise I bought from a shop 2 months ago came off.
I knew that pet shops in Japan also keep tortoises in a dry state, so I looked for newly arrived tortoises. He was using a mercury lamp with a dry sand base in his shop, but he said it had only been in the shop for a day.
It was sold much cheaper than the normal price, so I think it's true that it probably just arrived. (Usually, the longer it is managed by the shop, the more expensive it becomes)
After purchasing it, I noticed that there was a small crack in the shell.
The cracks hadn't gotten any bigger until yesterday, but this morning they were completely peeled off.
Why is this? Is it better to dry it?

He has grown from 89g 2 months ago to 140g now.
According to the forum, busking is done with a 60W incandescent light bulb with a dimmer between 97-100°F from 6:30am to 9pm.
UVB lamp is ZooMed, Reptisun T5HO 10:00 to 13:00
LED lighting 7:30 to 20:00
The thermostat controls the 100w CHE at 80°F.
The base material is 3.5 inches deep of Coco Mat, with 1/2 inch of ZooMed Reptibark on top.

Humidity is 85% where you sleep.
60-70% near busking
He doesn't sleep in the place he's meant to sleep, so I move him where he sleeps every night.
The room is a closed chamber made of wood coated with urethane paint.
The size is 3 x 1.5ft. This turned out to be too small, so I made a 4x8ft chamber.
The bait I feed is Mazuri 5M21 and Japanese vegetables and wildflowers (dandelion, bokgeum, komatsuna, turnip leaves), etc. He eats a lot and poops a lot every day.
I soak him in 86°F hot water for 30 minutes every morning.

What caused his shell to fall off? Also, will this get worse? What should I do?

The first photo was taken the day I bought him and the other photos were taken today. The thermohygrometer shown in the photo is inaccurate, so it is only included.
I have sensors with probes in my basking spot, on my cool side, and in my sleeping area.

Attachments

• IMG_8452.jpeg
    IMG_8452.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8570.jpeg
    IMG_8570.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8571.jpeg
    IMG_8571.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8572.jpeg
    IMG_8572.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8573.jpeg
    IMG_8573.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8568.jpeg
    IMG_8568.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 5

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
Hello and welcome to this forum. I admire you for reaching out to get help. I am not the one to give you recommendations because I am pretty new to sharing my life with tortoises but I wanted to welcome you. Your tortoise is lucky to have you!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
First, thank you for reaching out and taking great care of your tortoise. The enclosure and routines are properly set up. So whatever happened to his shell it's NOT your mistake.

I'm, unfortunately, a novice in tortoise keeping and have little on-hands experience.

I suppose it was an old injury or burn and there is a dead bone under the damaged scutes. That caused lack of blood supply for new keratine growth and flaking of old scutes. This might get worse (if damaged area is large). However, eventually bone and shell will recover in a few years, but the injury area will still be noticeable.

I think, a bit later, members with more experience will chime in and comment.

And a warm welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:

おまつ

東京
Thank you, I don't think his shell will look any better in the end, but I am worried that this damaged area will lead to an infection etc.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am not an expert by any imagination... howevre I say, don't go back to that pet store or a Vet. That tort is fine now that you have him set up correctly. And I'm sure Alex did not mean that was your mistake...he meant that was not your mistake it was old and losing that peice was simply part of the healing /growing process...welcome...

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I am not an expert by any imagination... howevre I say, don't go back to that pet store or a Vet. That tort is fine now that you have him set up correctly. And I'm sure Alex did not mean that was your mistake...he meant that was not your mistake it was old and losing that peice was simply part of the healing /growing process...welcome...
Oh, I'm so sorry... Of course, that what I meant - "it's NOT your mistake"...

Thank you @Maggie3fan for highlighting this!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes, thank you for that! It's very embarassing to make a such typo in a welcome post :)
Bet you use a voice dictation thingy huh??? I did for a while...but it didn't work for me...example...I live in Knoll Terrace...which comes written as Nole Terrorists, and my four letter words...lolololol

zovick

10 Year Member!
English is not my native language, so I'm sorry if it's hard to understand.
I am in Japan.

The shell of the Greek tortoise I bought from a shop 2 months ago came off.
I knew that pet shops in Japan also keep tortoises in a dry state, so I looked for newly arrived tortoises. He was using a mercury lamp with a dry sand base in his shop, but he said it had only been in the shop for a day.
It was sold much cheaper than the normal price, so I think it's true that it probably just arrived. (Usually, the longer it is managed by the shop, the more expensive it becomes)
After purchasing it, I noticed that there was a small crack in the shell.
The cracks hadn't gotten any bigger until yesterday, but this morning they were completely peeled off.
Why is this? Is it better to dry it?

He has grown from 89g 2 months ago to 140g now.
According to the forum, busking is done with a 60W incandescent light bulb with a dimmer between 97-100°F from 6:30am to 9pm.
UVB lamp is ZooMed, Reptisun T5HO 10:00 to 13:00
LED lighting 7:30 to 20:00
The thermostat controls the 100w CHE at 80°F.
The base material is 3.5 inches deep of Coco Mat, with 1/2 inch of ZooMed Reptibark on top.

Humidity is 85% where you sleep.
60-70% near busking
He doesn't sleep in the place he's meant to sleep, so I move him where he sleeps every night.
The room is a closed chamber made of wood coated with urethane paint.
The size is 3 x 1.5ft. This turned out to be too small, so I made a 4x8ft chamber.
The bait I feed is Mazuri 5M21 and Japanese vegetables and wildflowers (dandelion, bokgeum, komatsuna, turnip leaves), etc. He eats a lot and poops a lot every day.
I soak him in 86°F hot water for 30 minutes every morning.

What caused his shell to fall off? Also, will this get worse? What should I do?

The first photo was taken the day I bought him and the other photos were taken today. The thermohygrometer shown in the photo is inaccurate, so it is only included.
I have sensors with probes in my basking spot, on my cool side, and in my sleeping area.
Those are old injuries which are healing now as Yvonne and Maggie mentioned above. Some more of the shell (scutes) may eventually come off and even some of the underlying bone (which you can see is now exposed underneath where parts of the scutes are missing) may come off also. If this happens, there should be new healthy bone underneath which can even grow new scute keratin over time.

Good luck with the tortoise. It seems you are doing well with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with the other members. Looks like some sort of old injury that is finally making it to the surface and flaking off.

What I noticed is that your set up is ideal, and that the growth rate is excellent. Also, the new growth looks fantastic. All those little squiggly lines are an indicator of a healthy shell and good growth. You are doing an excellent job of caring for this tortoise!

おまつ

東京
Thank you all. And thank you for making sure I wasn't confused by the difference in language. I understand that as he grows, more of his shell may come off, but for now, it's not a big problem. He's started to grow a lot since he came to me, so more will come off. I'll keep you updated on how much of his shell comes off and what it looks like when he grows up.