Shell Shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

redann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis, MN
Hi all, I come to this forum to learn as much I can so I can be the best tortoise owner and caretaker I can. Six months ago, I bought a baby Hermann tort who, I thought was doing great until 2 months later when one day he was dead under his hide - I was crushed, and did more reading to figure out how I can not have this happen again.

My name is Ann and I just had the WORSE experience at a local reptile store when I tried to talk to the sales person about their general care advice for my new juvenile Hermann Tortoise, specifically concerning substrate and soaking. The man immediately threw up his hands and literally yelled/admonished me for even trying to have a Hermann, especially since I got him from an on-line supplier (of which I think did a great job of shipping him quick, safe and healthy so far). Basically he guaranteed my poor tort is going to die. I left in tears and immediately went home to continue my research and to double check what I thought I knew from previous reading, which brought me here.

I named my hermann tort Boris, I don't know his sex or what exact kind of hermann, at least yet. I want him to be happy and healthy. The shell is 2.5" long and about 2" wide. I've had him only 24 hrs, and he's already been very active with burrowing in the mulch, drinking water, eating the supplier pellets and kale greens and pooped a couple times. I think so far he's alright, except his right back middle claw is missing. I hope it will grow back or not significantly disadvantage him in the future. Below is him yesterday.

For the thanksgiving weekend he has to stay in a temporary home I made for him out of a large cardboard box. See below picture to get an idea. I have a heat lamp on the left side and full spectrum light too.

For starters, I am looking at what is the best substrate for the little guy both now and in his homemade wooden tank which will be done on Monday. My concern is that the current cypress mulch (from manufacturer Country Mulch) may be too course..I can pick out larger pieces which seems to be what others said elsewhere in the forum. The mean sales rep forced a Compressed Coconut fiber substrate on me (in addition to a new UVA and UVB light saying my other one was trash).
Any advice is appreciated, my experience today just rattled my previous sense of excitement. I feel like a new parent frenzied to make sure I am not doing something terribly wrong.

I am grateful for so many owners, advocates and enthusiasts to be in the same place - it is comforting to know there is a lot of advice, information and knowledge here.
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ann:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Strange way of attracting new customers and having them be returning customers. He would have made an enemy of me forever, and I would never go back to the store again.

Quite a few people use the coconut coir substrate and really like it. I'm not one of those, I much prefer the cypress mulch, even though it sometimes has too large of pieces. When that happens, I just take the palm of my hand and pat, pat, pat around the floor of the habitat until all the large chunks are laying flat and easier to walk over.

There's no reason in the world why you shouldn't have a Hermann's tortoise or why you should not have bought him to be shipped. What happens now with your care of the tortoise is going to determine how well he does. I'm sure Boris is going to do just fine in your care (especially now that you've made friends with us)!!

When you get familiar with our format, I'd love to see pictures. And be sure to show us the new tort table when its finished.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Hi Ann,

That sounds like a terrible experience. You'll do fine, though - you're here and ready to learn!

Welcome, from another Hermann's owner. Boris is gorgeous! :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
You will be great and so will Boris! No worries we are here to help! I actually prefer the coco coir, my babies love it and burrow down and get all snugglie in it. It works for me. I have 1 handful of cypress mulch mixed in. Glad you found us, and don't let the butt head ruin your day or your excitement for your new tortie! Pictures!! Pictures!!! :D Welcome to TFO! :D

redann

5 Year Member
Minneapolis, MN
Thank you Torty Mom, Cherylim, Emysemys for the welcome and am grateful for the reassurances. I feel alot better after spending more time here at the forum reading other threads.

And believe me, I won't be back to that store. Ironically, I was also there to check out its potential for Black Friday shopping...ha!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome ann, as you have tortoises over the years you will find that most pet store employees are either morons or liars, still no excuse for acting that way. I don't have official numbers but I would imagine there are thousands of tortoises shipped every year with no incidents, are there the occasional mishap yes of course, but a reliable breeder cares for their tortoises and wants to see them arrive safely. Ok enough there I am also sorry for the loss of your little guy, if you have any questions even if you think they might not be important feel free to ask.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome to the TFO, Ann. I am by no means an expert habitat maker, and I don't mean to offend; but, the idea of a heat lamp + a cardboard box makes me a little nervous. Be very careful and Good Luck. :shy:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D Boris is very cute and too cringed a bit with the thought of a cardboard box and heat light....maybe you can use a rubbermaid tub around your house until his pad is done after the holiday....? :p

redann

5 Year Member
Minneapolis, MN
ascott said:
Welcome to the Forum :D Boris is very cute and too cringed a bit with the thought of a cardboard box and heat light....maybe you can use a rubbermaid tub around your house until his pad is done after the holiday....? :p

I appreciate your concern Utah Lynn and Ascot,
It is a valid point. I just looked it up and I guess cardboard has a flashpoint of 380 F, and I am only keeping the sunning area at 90-ish F. You both are right that it will be best if I finish his wood home asap, which I will - and my only other option for an inescapable container was a 20 gallon fish tank which I thought may be worse.:(

I will make sure to keep an eye on how hot the box gets (dimensions 12" H, 18" W and 30" L) and won't be leaving tort alone for long periods. The heat lap is a drafting light stand clamped the the table with the red heat bulb in it placed above and not touching the sides of the box. I use the same lap stand at work and it has never fallen and is more than industrial.

If I am missing another means for this to be a problem, please let me know. Thankfully this is only temporary..

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Welcome! I have to say that I have learned a lot since I joined this forum. The members are wonderful and very knowledgeable. I am sorry to hear about your little tortoise and your bad experience. Also, there are some sellers on ebay that have good prices on bulbs, etc.

~C

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I think the pet store guy's business must be failing and you touched a nerve when you mentioned buying one from someone else. Either way his response is totally inappropriate and unacceptable. Sadly, pet stores are not usually the best place to get advice about pets.

Good luck with your new baby.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I would give the pet store guy another chance, may be he was just having a bad day. We all have days like that. There are days in here, after reading heartbreaking stories about folks having their hatchling shipped to them from somebody online and having it arrive sick, that even I sometimes want to rant about them. :(

Don't let ANYone discourage you about your ability to raise your tortoise. If you want to raise him right and are willing to do the work to do it correctly, then you will.

mytwotortys

5 Year Member
Omg you poor thing!!! I'm a hermanns owner, I got my first (kochanski!!!) at Christmas, and my other, lister, I saved up for in the six weeks holidays from school. If you're looking for a substrate, then I recommend wood chippings, they're good for digging, walking on and scratching itches, they're warm in winter and cool in summer, and easy to clean out. I get them from my local pet shop, the owner is the nicest man in the world!!! He helps me with my two babies, and is just generally epic. And your pet shop owner? Well, he'll regret the day he made an enemy out of you!!! My condolences for your first little darling, you must've been crushed. If anything bad happened to my tortys, it would tear my heart to pieces. Anyway, if you need help, don't hesitate to call me or one of the other tortoise fans!!! I'm 12, so I might be at school when you ask.

image-229852797.png

image-2542673060.png

These are my little babies!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.