Shell shine?

DrLew

5 Year Member
Red foots in for the cold months, just got bathers and into the reptile room for their winter break. Curious to see what you use to shine their shells - please post!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't. They wouldn't get shined in the wild, so I let them be. Whatever might fall off during their soaks is al the cleaning they get.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're talking about all the shiney tortoises in pictures here on the forum, that's because folks wet and clean off their tortoises before they take pictures.

I have used mineral oil on shells before. But if you do use a topical, be sure to polish it off really good before turning the tortoise loose. If you leave him sticky or oily, he's going to be covered in stuck on dirt in no time.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I use a soft, baby toothbrush to clean OLI well.;)

GRohr

I do a light cleaning with a soft tooth brush once a week on my RF's weigh day and only if they need it. They stay pretty clean and semi shiny on their own. I have never done any kind of oil and don't think I would want to as long as they are healthy but that is just me.

AnimalLady

I use coconut oil. I'm a big fan of coconut oil for many things and I really like the benefits of it.

There is a pretty detailed thread on here regarding coconut oil, one member used it and tracked his progress for a year I believe!

I only put a very small amount on to condition his shell, I don't do it to make my guy shiny.

Search for coconut oil on here you'll find the thread I'm talking about.

W Shaw

I was conned into buying a shell conditioner for my new rescue (He's my first), but fortunately before I used it on him, I was told something that's obvious in retrospect -- anything that "conditions" the shell also prevents it from hydrating properly when soaked. Also fortunately, I heard that the stuff is great for human fingernails :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red foots in for the cold months, just got bathers and into the reptile room for their winter break. Curious to see what you use to shine their shells - please post!

6 posts in 5 years? Where you been hidin'?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was conned into buying a shell conditioner for my new rescue (He's my first), but fortunately before I used it on him, I was told something that's obvious in retrospect -- anything that "conditions" the shell also prevents it from hydrating properly when soaked. Also fortunately, I heard that the stuff is great for human fingernails :)

There is nothing wrong or harmful about Vita Shell. Many here use it. How much benefit it has is debatable, but its definitely not harmful in any way. I did an experiment with it here on hatchlings a few years back. You can probably find it with a little searching.

W Shaw

There is nothing wrong or harmful about Vita Shell. Many here use it. How much benefit it has is debatable, but its definitely not harmful in any way. I did an experiment with it here on hatchlings a few years back. You can probably find it with a little searching.
Good to know. Thanks Tom!

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I love your profile picture. Those two little heads in the same direction...so cute! :)