Shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esopha

5 Year Member
So Bean had some white spots on her shell and some soft, brown stuff happening on her plastron, as well as a couple of white spots. I compared this with some pictures on the forum and figured it was shell rot, so I treated with Betadine and an antifungal cream.

How long should this treatment continue?
Will I see any major changes in appearance that indicate the treatment is over?
Also, there's dirt sticking to the antifungal cream. Should that worry me? I'm cleaning it off everyday and then letting her eat and then reapplying it right before she goes back into her hide.

Her plastron is a little soft around where her egg sac would have been. I think she's about 4 months old. How long until this softness goes away? Should I supplement extra calcium until then? It also looks a little wrinkly around there. Is that from the shell rot?

I tried to take some pictures, but nothing I'm describing shows up very well on them. I can only see the wrinklyness, for example, if I hold her up to the light and stare.

So, to summarize: Something happened to my tortoise and I don't know if I'm doing it right aaaaaaahhhh!

PS: I also cleaned and dried out her hide/pen significantly and have adopted the terryo method of only watering the plants. I thought the clover would have grown in over the top soil by now, but it's really taking its sweet time.

LindaF

5 Year Member
You didn't say what type of tort you have. Sounds just like my little red foot with the white spots and white crusty like wrinkles. this is a web site of treatment I was given http://www.redfoots.com/smf/index.php?topic=544.0 . After the first treatment I saw improvement. Within two weeks it was all cleared but I check him every day.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
In the past I have treated it successfully using the same basic protocol. On the first day or two I'll clean them off first with Chlorhexidine (I think that's the one you're only supposed to use for a day or two. Someone correct me otherwise) then apply the antifungal cream. Don't worry about a little bit of dirt sticking, just apply a thin layer of the cream.

Then after the first day or two I do the same routine but replace the Chlorhexidine with Betadine (Like I said, someone correct me if I remember these two in the wrong order) and do the same routine with the cream.

It should clear up in less than a week in my experience. If you can get them, post pictures and we can help you if you think you're doing something wrong.

I'm curious about the general time-line for when shells harden as well. Hopefully someone else will address that.

Esopha

5 Year Member
I can't access anything on the redfoots site. It says I need to register, but then tells me registering is disabled.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While you are treating with the anti-fungal cream you can keep the tortoise on paper towels. It shouldn't take more than a week for you to notice that it is healing.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Esopha said:
I can't access anything on the redfoots site. It says I need to register, but then tells me registering is disabled.

Did you read?... Forum Guests Please read to register.

Esopha

5 Year Member
Yeah. I don't see that sentence anywhere on the screen...?

Anyway, I've gotten enough information here, I think. Thanks everyone! I'll keep up with the routine and see how things go for the next week.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfoot NERD said:
Esopha said:

Did you read?... Forum Guests Please read to register.

I've been trying to get on your site for months now too. They say my user name doesn't exist, and then when I try to register again it says that registering is disabled. So...........there's NO way for anyone to get on....including me and I'm registered for three years. Help..

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I've heard of this happening a lot with redfoots.com . I registered like a year ago but never personally had any problems logging on.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
FIRST.. redfoots.com is NOT my site - but I will contact the admin and find out what is going on.

NERD

I just 'copied' the text and pics from RFs.com.. showing treatment progress.. onto my caresheet - scroll down to the bottom -

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Most likely yours is not this advanced... it's clean in about 10 days!

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.