Shell rot? Or is this normal?

linaizzie

5 Year Member
Hi again,
Sorry for the incessant questions - I was looking at the two dudes yesterday and was not sure if the shell color (on the bottom) was normal? Rake smelled a little, so I washed him and put ant-fungal cream on him, but on second thought he might have just walked over some poo. Not sure. I was mainly unsure of the dark areas in the shell. Is that rot?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381267431.699315.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381267443.270056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It pretty much looks normal. However I would keep an eye on it. Also, make sure the have good humidity, without the top layer of substrate being wet/damp.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
Thanks! I will monitor for sure. The humidity is over 60% always, generally closer to 80% during the day. The far side of the terrarium has a bit of damp-ish moss, where the basking and the fogger are, but their hide, where they spend most of their time, is completely dry. I know this species has a propensity for shell rot, given the conditions they thrive in.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
So, I'm still treating the torts for shell rot, just in case that's what it is. I noticed that Ruin has no odor at all, smooth shell. Rake was non-stinky the last 2 days, but today the smell was back. Could it be his pee or poo that he gets on himself? I have no clue why he would have a scent when the other doesn't.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I was wondering if y'all think my hatchling redfoot has shell rot? ImageUploadedByTortForum1386619586.304788.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386619608.495805.jpg
I hatched him myself but he is my first ever tortoise to hatch. He will be 1 month old tomorrow. I keep the substrate damp and the humidity at 80+. He has a basking spot of about 85 and a humid hide at about 85. Ambient temp is 78-82. I soak him and he has 2 water dishes. Is the humid hide to warm? He seems to be more active since I made it 85 instead of 78. Do I need to have somewhere in between? He feeds on mainly grass, romaine, kale, and collared greens. He refuses to eat fruits and cactus. I haven't tried protein yet. Do I need to?

Last edited by a moderator: