Does he have shell rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I am worried about this guy because this does not look normal, but then again this is my first tort so I am not sure if this is shell rot.

This guy has come full circle...very shy when I first got him (4 days ago) and now he is active and had his first mazuri pellet yesterday. He is surprisingly strong.

Does he have shell rot? What kind of RF is he? The previous owners kept him in desert conditions.

Attachments

• torty3 004.JPG
    torty3 004.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 115
  • torty3 013.JPG
    torty3 013.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 169
  • torty3 008.JPG
    torty3 008.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 98
  • torty3 010.JPG
    torty3 010.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 100

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It's a Northern Redfoot :) I'm not seeing any shell rot in those pictures. But to be sure can you clean off and dry the plastron (bottom shell) and take another picture.

Danny

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
He is beautiful! I don't see a drop of shell rot on him from the pics you took. What about his shell makes you think he has shell rot? If his plastron feels a little soft that's a normal feel for hatchlings and young babies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
LadyGreek said:
He is beautiful! I don't see a drop of shell rot on him from the pics you took. What about his shell makes you think he has shell rot? If his plastron feels a little soft that's a normal feel for hatchlings and young babies.

Thanks for the quick responses! On the second picture, in the middle of his plastron, there is clearly a dark region (minus the mazuri :]) that is olive green colored and I thought that looks like it was rotting.. my mistake. Anyone know what that is? Looks like connective tissue of some kind.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The irregularity in the center of the plastron is the yolk sac scar- it will fade away as it grows.

Definitely a Northern Red-foot (that is, it comes from the area north of the Amazon River. It's roots are probably in the Venezuela to French Guiana (spelling?) area.

Some nice colors in the shell- it will be interesting to watch as it grows!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Geez Madkins you're becoming an expert on these aren't you? :D :p

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
That's about as close as we can get HarleyK. In fact from the colors on the head and dark seams on the plastron.. I wouldn't be surprized that there might be a little ( cherry ) North of the Amazon/Brazilian blood in that little dude.

Keep his bottom dry and his top wet and everybody will be happy!

Really pretty redfoot tortoise you have there.. nice pics!!!

NERD

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Thanks Terry!! That care sheet of yours is great...your passion for these tortoises really comes through. Read that many times before I bought this guy :]

Status
Not open for further replies.