Shell rot or fungal infection?

cherrystar02

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, Ca
I have a 4 month old cherry head and started noticing these white spots about a week ago that come and go. This is worst I’ve seen it. It’s not soft and the white doesn’t come off. Is this shell rot or some type of fungal infection and is there anything recommended to treat it with? No changes in appetite or personality and I am going to do a full substrate change tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpeg
    IMG_3959.jpeg
    973 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4 month old cherry head and started noticing these white spots about a week ago that come and go. This is worst I’ve seen it. It’s not soft and the white doesn’t come off. Is this shell rot or some type of fungal infection and is there anything recommended to treat it with? No changes in appetite or personality and I am going to do a full substrate change tomorrow.
How are you housing it? What type of enclosure? What substrate? How wet is the substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd get rid of the coir and use 3-4 inches of plain fine grade orchid bark. It can stay damp down below but remain dry on top. It will prevent this from happening again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Many times a fungal issue will start in a scraped area or an abrasion if the animal is kept on wet substrate. A simple fungal infection will not harm your RF or make him act differently. And you can treat it quickly, easily and inexpensively.
Go to your local "dollar store" and buy a tube of ATHLETES FOOT CREAM and dab a bit onto those areas. Repeat it for 3 days. Done.

The best part is that this always works on fungus. But if we're (I'm)wrong, that cream does no harm.