Shell question

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Does her shell look deformed at all? She has regular calcium twice a week and a cuddle bone along with a calcium block available at all times. She also has a UVB strip bulb that is only a couple months old. Her humidity is in the 80% range at all times with an ambient temperature of about 85F and a basking spot of 95-110. She has some original pyramiding from the first month I had her in the wrong conditions so look past that please. IMG_8718.jpgIMG_8726.jpg

N

no one

Love the legs!! Looks to me that the growth is coming in smoother. Cute tort...

Destben

Kansas
Love the legs!! Looks to me that the growth is coming in smoother. Cute tort...

Thank you [emoji4]. I’m really just worried about the bumps on the back of her shell in the smooth area. She’s my first tort and I just wasn’t sure if it’s normal.

N

no one

I see that al lot with leopards. I personally don't think it is a problem. She is still growing. And there is no heavy pyramiding.

N

no one

I want to correct... By saying there is no heavy pyramiding, I wasn't implying there is pyramiding on your Tortoise Destben. I am sorry if I made you think that. English is not my native language. Sometimes I don't express myself correctly.

When you say for a leopard @Markw84 you agree that you see that kind of "bumpiness" more on leopards then other species? 'Cause that is what I think. Just curious...

Destben

Kansas
I want to correct... By saying there is no heavy pyramiding, I wasn't implying there is pyramiding on your Tortoise Destben. I am sorry if I made you think that. English is not my native language. Sometimes I don't express myself correctly.

When you say for a leopard @Markw84 you agree that you see that kind of "bumpiness" more on leopards then other species? 'Cause that is what I think. Just curious...
No offense was taken :) i understood that you meant.

Destben

Kansas
@Destben Your tortoise looks great. I would not considered that pyramided at all for a leopard. You and your tortoise are doing great!!
Thank you! I was worried that she was getting bumps and dips in her shell from not enough sun or calcium. I will be taking her out this satuday for outsde time though it will be almost 80 here!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

I have just experience that leopards seem to be prone to their scutes growing a bit differently than most tortoises. An edge of a scute will sometimes not expand and all the growth on that scute is on one side. The "stuck" side will "stack" a tiny bit. It's hard to see here, but I think that is the case here with the rear margin of the 2nd vertebral. So even in extremely smooth growing leopards, you will sometimes still get these little bumps. As they grow, these become less and less apparent. Overall, I also think leopards and stars are by far the most prone to pyramid if conditions are just a bit off!

Destben

Kansas
I have just experience that leopards seem to be prone to their scutes growing a bit differently than most tortoises. An edge of a scute will sometimes not expand and all the growth on that scute is on one side. The "stuck" side will "stack" a tiny bit. It's hard to see here, but I think that is the case here with the rear margin of the 2nd vertebral. So even in extremely smooth growing leopards, you will sometimes still get these little bumps. As they grow, these become less and less apparent. Overall, I also think leopards and stars are by far the most prone to pyramid if conditions are just a bit off!

That’s why I wanted to ask just in case so I could fix it before it became a problem.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you! I was worried that she was getting bumps and dips in her shell from not enough sun or calcium. I will be taking her out this satuday for outsde time though it will be almost 80 here!
My experience is that calcium/sunshine/D3 does not effect pyramiding. It is certainly necessary for bone growth and the lack of will lead to metabolic bone disease. Pyramiding is caused by conditions that cause the shell to dry too much and effect the way the keratin (scute) grows.

Destben

Kansas
My experience is that calcium/sunshine/D3 does not effect pyramiding. It is certainly necessary for bone growth and the lack of will lead to metabolic bone disease. Pyramiding is caused by conditions that cause the shell to dry too much and effect the way the keratin (scute) grows.

True which is why I keep my humidity really high. But the other things were what I was thinking I wasn’t doing right.

Destben

Kansas
True which is why I keep my humidity really high. But the other things were what I was thinking I wasn’t doing right.

She’s getting a dip in the bottom of her shell too like she may end up being a he lol but still to soon to tell.

N

no one

That is my observation also. But I wonder if it is just because the condition are off or are Leopards and Stars more prone to a pyramiding. If you look at photo's of them in the wild you will see some pyramiding often by Leopards and Stars.
I also have a Elongata as you know and they are far less prone to pyramiding. Even in the wild.
But I also read that with Elongatas there can be less pyramiding because of a more animal protein rich diet.
Not saying high humidity is not key on preventing pyramiding.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is my observation also. But I wonder if it is just because the condition are off or are Leopards and Stars more prone to a pyramiding. If you look at photo's of them in the wild you will see some pyramiding often by Leopards and Stars.
I also have a Elongata as you know and they are far less prone to pyramiding. Even in the wild.
But I also read that with Elongatas there can be less pyramiding because of a more animal protein rich diet.
Not saying high humidity is not key on preventing pyramiding.

We would need to go back 1000 years or so to see what a true wild tortoise looks like.

The problem with "wild" pictures are that we have altered the "wild" conditions in most of those cases. Through the expansion of agriculture, there is access to good food sources in times of the year now, where previously there would be no new nutritious food available for a wild tortoise. Now, they wander into fields of crops, yards, or pastures, and actively grow in time of the year and in conditions where they otherwise would have been aestivating. Reservoirs retain water and allow for areas of plant growth that would not have been there in dry seasons. Many "wild" tortoise pictures are also of tortoise kept in artificial conditions - holding pens or back yards - that again allows for active growth through the dry season. Even in the case of the sulcata - what does a truely "Wild" sulcata look like in size? According to most historical accounts, the average adult, wild sulcata weighed a "camels burden" That is 150 kilos! Where can you see or find a 330lb sulcata now?

N

no one

Ok, I get your point. But still... why do Leopards and Star get more pyramiding overall? I don't think it is just the conditions in which they are kept. Or am I mistaken?
Come to think of it, they are the same species that will not thrive if kept incorrect. More them other species right? And get more respiratory problems? They are a less hardier species. More difficult in there earlier stages. Maybe I am wrong, just thinking out loud.

Sorry for derailling your topic Destben...

Destben

Kansas
Ok, I get your point. But still... why do Leopards and Star get more pyramiding overall? I don't think it is just the conditions in which they are kept. Or am I mistaken?
Come to think of it, they are the same species that will not thrive if kept incorrect. More them other species right? And get more respiratory problems? They are a less hardier species. More difficult in there earlier stages. Maybe I am wrong, just thinking out loud.

Sorry for derailling your topic Destben...

It’s all good. I think it maybe because leopards and stars have high humidity during hatch seasons so growth may be smoother as a result. As the season changes that humidity that is needed disappears so smooth growth doesn’t take place.
I also have heard that leopards use their pyramiding to flip back over when they end up on their backs. Pure speculation though.