Shell problem?

Delilah1623

What do the people with more experience think of the shell on the guy on the left? He is not mine. It is at the place a volunteer at. He is under 3 inches. The guy they got him from said his shell is shaped that was because he is "wasp shaped" and a male....It was my understanding this was shape would not appear until the tortoise was sexually mature and this is more likely a shall deformation caused my improper diet, deydration, improper lighting ( until last week they had no a UVB bulb on him) or simply a birth deffect. Feedback anyone? Might be hard to see in the pictures but there is a divit in the second to last scute on his shell. I am trying to help these guys out but one of the volunteers has been resistant to changes telling me I don't know know what I'm talking about, they are a beginner tortoise and do not need humidity, can get down to 45 at night and do not keep special lights... can someone please advise? ? I a raising my redfoot woth 80-90% humidity, UVB and heat not does not drop below 80 even at night and he seems to be thriving....20141213_100733.jpg20141206_095850.jpg

Last edited:

Delilah1623

For comparison my redfoot who is about the same size and being raised will "all the unecessary junk"

20141213_081454.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What do the people with more experience think of the shell on the guy on the left? He is not mine. It is at the place a volunteer at. He is under 3 inches. The guy they got him from said his shell is shaped that was because he is "wasp shaped" and a male....It was my understanding this was shape would not appear until the tortoise was sexually mature and this is more likely a shall deformation caused my improper diet, deydration, improper lighting ( until last week they had no a UVB bulb on him) or simply a birth deffect. Feedback anyone? Might be hard to see in the pictures but there is a divit in the second to last scute on his shell. I am trying to help these guys out but one of the volunteers has been resistant to changes telling me I don't know know what I'm talking about, they are a beginner tortoise and do not need humidity, can get down to 45 at night and do not keep special lights... can someone please advise? ? I a raising my redfoot woth 80-90% humidity, UVB and heat not does not drop below 80 even at night and he seems to be thriving....View attachment 110751View attachment 110752

That tortoise looks fine....the smaller tort on the other hand would be likely much happier and safer if they were not in the same enclosure as a pair....

Delilah1623

That tortoise looks fine....the smaller tort on the other hand would be likely much happier and safer if they were not in the same enclosure as a pair....
I agree. But it was almost world war 3 with one volunteer who thought a regular light bulb on 12 hours a day was sufficient along with night time temps in the 40's to let me switch them to a UVB light and nighttime heat... so it is a work in progress. I donated a 40 gallon tank, UVB, night time heat, a plant saucer and some mazuri. I am far from rich so do not have another $200 or so to set them both up properly. The big guy is already biting the little guy but I have only volunteered for 2 weeks and already one guy feels I overstepped my boundries.

Delilah1623

His shell look such worse in person I will try to get up dated picture tomorrow.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I agree. But it was almost world war 3 with one volunteer who thought a regular light bulb on 12 hours a day was sufficient along with night time temps in the 40's to let me switch them to a UVB light and nighttime heat... so it is a work in progress. I donated a 40 gallon tank, UVB, night time heat, a plant saucer and some mazuri. I am far from rich so do not have another $200 or so to set them both up properly. The big guy is already biting the little guy but I have only volunteered for 2 weeks and already one guy feels I overstepped my boundries.

That is a quandary for sure....seems like you will need to handle this as you see the opportunity....

Delilah1623

The volunteer coordinator has been awesome and very appreciate of my feedback and help. She even mentioned after just a few days with the right light they seemed more active and perked up.

I am honestly worried about these little guys getting sick and it's that the case I hope they will give me the opportunity to bring them home for round the clock care.... it would have been so much easier if they gotten an adult russian or something more easily maintained. Im afraid these babies have a tough little battle ahead of them... I just hope if worst comes to worst they have the decency to reach out to me sooner rather than later as I am only there 1 day a week.

Delilah1623

Tomorrow is my last day I have signed up to volunteer.... When I email the director would it be wise to address my concerns with these guys? I do love volunteering and helping out but at the same time I do not like supporting a place that is not properly providing for the animals. Ideally I'd like to ask to be given responsibility for their care but is there a tactful way to do this? I am like socially awkward penguin so unsure how to proceed and get my concerns across without ruffling feathers.

Delilah1623

I was thinking maybe along the lines of.. I have really enjoyed working with your organization and believe strongly in your mission. I know you and the other volunteers are busy and I would like to offer to take primary responsibility for the 2 baby fed foot tortoises. As well as owning this type of tortoise I have a vast group of experienced keepers online who are a great resource as well. This will ensure these tortoises get the best, most up to date care possible and allow other volunteers to focus on their area of expertise... and so on.. any thoughts on this?

Delilah1623

Here is a better side picture of the shell on the one that has me a little worried. Is this normal? 20141220_102512.jpg

Tjbemis

5 Year Member
Hi... I'm not sure how he looks, I don't know red foots well. I admire what you're doing and the lengths you're going to in order to help these little guys. Curious... Are you in a position to fully adopt them? Or am I wrong in assuming this is a rescue? I think offering to bring them home to "foster" at the very least is very kind. I think a letter (with what you said above) is a good way to go. Good luck!

Delilah1623

They belong to an educational and land preservation alliance. My understanding is they purchased the tortoises as a way to help bring people in amd get them interested in the cause. I don't think they were advised at all fairly about the requirements of these tortoises and, through no fault of their own, thought their care was sufficient. They are not up for adoption nor am I am a position to adopt 2 tortoises but I wanted to help improve their care. It has gotten a bit frustrating because one of the volunteers thinks they are fine with no heat and UVB. My attempt was to get them set up properly at their current location but I feel like I wasn't as successful as I had hoped.

I only hope if they do become ill from the lower than ideal temps they will contact me for help. I feel like my offered help wasn't really wanted for whatever reason.

Delilah1623

I think a big part is they were purchased from a man who is very knowledgeable on what he does do (which is not tortoises) and they had more confidence in him than me.... The soft spoken 100 pound, socially awkward penguin

Attachments

• 1419291239022.jpg
    1419291239022.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 11