Shell issue

Lawhale

I'm a new tortoise owner and forum member. Spending time today with my new baby and discovered this on his shell. Anyone familiar with this who can give me some advice?

IMG_4042.JPG

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Is your tortoise housed with others? If so it needs to be separated immediately. That is a heck of an injury. You need to figure out how it happened.

Lawhale

That's the frustrating thing... he is all by himself in a plastic kiddie pool. We have no other animals and he is on an enclosed lanai. When I cleaned the area there were pieces of his substrate (sand and organic coconut husk bedding) in the wound and one piece was in there pretty good. I have put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and he is in a different box with just his half log.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
How enclosed? Can birds get in? Could be he was picked up and dropped from a high height (how birds kill baby turtles to get at their insides).

Sounds like you're doing what I would do to keep the wound clean.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is a chew injury. Some type of critter has tried to eat that baby. I guess you're going to have to cover the habitat with wire or netting when he's out there from now on. I don't think it was a bird, as they generally go for the middle of the plastron. Probably a rat, raccoon or opossum. So the cover you make will have to be pretty sturdy.

Sprinkle on some styptic powder to 'cauterize' the wound, then treat it with antibiotic ointment. It might also be a good idea to take him to the vet to get a round of antibiotic injections to be sure he doesn't get an infection. Bites like that are easy for the tortoise to recover from, however an infection can kill him. Don't let flies lay eggs on it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Poor little guy! Keep him safe from now on! Predators come in all shapes and sizes.